Verrrrry Serious Problem Here!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

approximately how many are in each pond?

I'd say, with fry included, the guppies are (around) at least 12,000, and the Swords at about 5,000.... (and tomorrow's estimate will be +200 of each)

WOW!

Personally, i would have to think about culling. Do you loose many through inbreeding?

WOW!

Personally, i would have to think about culling. Do you loose many through inbreeding?

Strange as it may seem.... I think the best traits in the genes are the survivors and I have developed a strain hardier and healthier than the average.... Not exagerating, but everybody getting my fish comments on this aspect....

WOW!

Strange as it may seem.... I think the best traits in the genes are the survivors and I have developed a strain hardier and healthier than the average.... Not exagerating, but everybody getting my fish comments on this aspect....

Since I do keep them in the ponds throughout the winter (at as low as 8 deg C) and they survive this, .... Maybe I should just take a coupla scoops from the pond and release them in the river... (just down the road from me) where the Carp and Tillapia could at least feast on them (if they do not inhabitate themselves in the river).... Totally against the law (I think), but would solve my problem... (Until DNA proves that they come from my stocks)

i dont think you should do illegal stuff, but what about catching some talipia and carp and putting them in your pond? or some other predator, if you put enough predators that can eat 200 fish a day then you should have a stable amount of fish.

how many convicts do you have in your ponds?

i dont think you should do illegal stuff, but what about catching some talipia and carp and putting them in your pond? or some other predator, if you put enough predators that can eat 200 fish a day then you should have a stable amount of fish.

how many convicts do you have in your ponds?

:lol: Keeping Tillapia or Carp in an aquarium in itself would be illegal as they are indiginous fish which we are not allowed to keep...

Convicts are around 300 in the pond, but not as much of a problem to restrict, as I said... merely removing the eggs is not as conscience binding as culling live fry....

i wonder why its always indiginous fish that are illegal, if you release them "accidently" they will cause less harm then non indiginous fish.

how do you feed these fish? dump a few pounds of flakes in the ponds each day? lol

I think just not feeding for 1-2 weeks, see if the fry get eaten would be a start.

i have to agree with the people who are saying introduce a predator, not opportunist like an oscar but like a gar, or even some sort of reptile snake?

What about turtles? Turtles eat fish don't they?

Another suggestion, WIth the cold that the U.S. has suffered lots of tropical fish places in Florida lost all their stock or a huge majority of it. Could you possibly try to contact some of those places and see if they would be interested? It will take years for them to recover without some sort of outside help I think.

actually apparently, it will only take a few months for the livebearer stocks to bounce back

I'd also go with a predatory species being introduced. If snakeheads are not an option what about some larger catfish?

perch ??? they eat fry and small fish not sure if you get them over there
but could nick 2-3 from the river (maggots)as there small let them eat alot of your stock then release them

now i have said that how about a pike lol

or drop some thing in to the pond that will kill them off

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back