The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hi!
So for the new tank I set up for bettas, I was looking into lighting as the tank isnā€™t a kit and I donā€™t have any lights.
I do have a heat lamp from when I kept hermit crabs though.
Can I use the lamp with a daylight bulb instead of buying separate lights? Or do I sound like a crazy person? The lamp currently has a bulb meant for basking, so it would heat up the water if I donā€™t change the bulb.
Thanks!

I wouldnā€™t do it simply because itā€™s not designed for water and could fall in and fry your fish. I actually have a suction cup light bar that I paid $7.00 for on EBay a couple of years ago. I use it in my QT tank. I just donā€™t submerge it so it has lasted. You may want to look at something like that. Some people also use desk lamps but they are an electrical risk too. Keep us posted!

Sure thing, Thanks

I have always used the strip lights sold for aquariums but after seeing pictures on this forum of people's tanks I'm thinking differently. Many people have floating plants only so that they can replicate a dark creek or river environment and many have stated that really bright light spooks the fish. I agree. So, I think your idea of using the reptile light is a good one. I had the same idea but using what is called a Gro-Lux bulb. I love incandescent lighting. It has a natural glow to it IMO. Experiment with what you had in mind but do heed the advice given of being careful to not let it fall into the water.

I would use it with a 6500k fluorescent bulb if u have plants. Incandescent bulbs are much more expensive in electricity costs. I use t8 18 inch 6500k fluorescent bulbs in 2 of my 3 tanks. They work great for growing low light plants such as anubias plants.

I would use it with a 6500k fluorescent bulb if u have plants. Incandescent bulbs are much more expensive in electricity costs. I use t8 18 inch 6500k fluorescent bulbs in 2 of my 3 tanks. They work great for growing low light plants such as anubias plants.
Those poor utilities company Barons have to eat too. Go with the soothing glow of the best lighting ever devised by man. Incandescent.

You can buy ā€œwarm whiteā€ fluorescent bulbs around 3000k that has lighting similar to expensive to operate incandescent bulbs. If u dont have plants that may work for you. But if u have plants, 6500k is best.

I use india almond leaves boiled in water and then cooled and added to my tanks to darken the water and lower ph.

The LED lights really arenā€™t bad. They are softer and cooler. Gosh, I remember those fluorescent lights that we use to use. You didnā€™t need any other lighting in the room when they were on. I like my Marineland hood because you can switch the light to blue in the evening.

If you have a desk lamp next to the aquarium, you can change the globe and use that.

This is what I use for my 10 gallon betta tank....

image.jpg

It is cheap, efficient, and cool looking! ;)

(By the way, how do you guys like my new scape? ;))

what bulb are you using, Pheonix? The scape is a major improvement...very nice

Iā€™m pretty sure it is a 14 Watt ā€œequivalentā€ LED compact bulb, in a Desk Clip lamp. It works very well :)

Most reactions

Back