Universal External Filter

ok cheers mate

tetratec it is (eheim look too expensive for what they are...)

Glad to be of assistance :) and when you get your tetratec, make sure to reduce the flow rate to a sensible level using the valves, else it'll turn it into a vortex of fishy soup :p

how do you recommend fitting the spray bar?

as you can see in this pic the internal filter (+heater) is built onto the back of the tank

Mirabello%2070%20[640x480].jpg

how do you recommend fitting the spray bar?

as you can see in this pic the internal filter (+heater) is built onto the back of the tank

[]
Spray bar on the narrow or side of the tank. From that wierd cut out i don't think you can put it on the back at any rate.

Fluval (and Rena, at least in the USA) are extremely common on the shelves. Tetratec and Eheim may be a little harder to locate, esp. specific models in the case of Eheim. This is why you see brand names in the frequency you do.
~~waterdrop~~

I see Eheim at petco and the others at petsmart all the time when I go in for Bloodworms and the like.

Bender

Fluval (and Rena, at least in the USA) are extremely common on the shelves. Tetratec and Eheim may be a little harder to locate, esp. specific models in the case of Eheim. This is why you see brand names in the frequency you do.
~~waterdrop~~

I see Eheim at petco and the others at petsmart all the time when I go in for Bloodworms and the like.

Bender
Interesting Bender, I'll bet you see the ProII cannisters, not the Pro cannisters, right?

In my honest opinion go for Eheim's Classic range with double taps. They are the original workhorses of the range. Many aquarists seem to have problems with the newer PRO and ECCO ranges. The classics are uncluttered by self primers and bells and whistles that the others have therefore not much goes wrong with a classic. The only time I hade trouble with a classic was the sealing ring, which is no big deal, just pick one up when you buy the filter and you always have one to hand if you need it.
Spray Bar may have to be cut to fit the end pane of your tank and I too wouild place it there. Directing it across the surface water, thus aggitating it, to facilitate gas exchange.
Regards
BigC

Hey BigC & others: Speaking of shortening the eheim spray bar, how would you recommend cutting it, or other hard plastic tubing like that, with a small coping saw and fine blace or would you use a box cutter? Hard to tell if there would be a danger of cracking it if trying to just use a blade rather than a saw.

the Eheim pipes can be cut with a fine bladed hacksaw, or a box cutter. Some o fthe cheaper brands use a more brittle plastic and you have to be careful whatever you use. I normally use a sharp knife and run it around the pipe scoring it until it cuts through.

If you buy a spraybar rather then make one it comes in sections :) just remove/add the desired amount of sections, each is around 3/4" long.

If you buy a spraybar rather then make one it comes in sections :) just remove/add the desired amount of sections, each is around 3/4" long.

Do you know if the tetratec one comes like this? Sounds good tbh

Ordering next couple of days :D

Hey BigC & others: Speaking of shortening the eheim spray bar, how would you recommend cutting it, or other hard plastic tubing like that, with a small coping saw and fine blace or would you use a box cutter? Hard to tell if there would be a danger of cracking it if trying to just use a blade rather than a saw.
I just used a small junior hacksaw.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

Back