Unidentified Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Moonweaver

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Recently I caught some fish in the pond beind my house, the fish are really small, possibly frys? They tend to stay on the top and dart from side to side. I assume that they are schooling fish since they stay in big groups and dies when I only got 1 or 2. They really like to eat, and sorta look like tadpoles. (But you can see the fins) Can anyone help me identify them? Pictures will be provided :) (They koce pretty fast so the pictures are a bit blurry)

Attachments

• 1565545583900152598451322062843.jpg
    1565545583900152598451322062843.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 15655456198606013274395623560170.jpg
    15655456198606013274395623560170.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 144
They look kind of like Mosquito Fish. These fish eat Mosquito larvae, and are a great addition to a pond. They are live bearers, and kind of resemble guppies.

If you want to keep them in your tanks, quarantine them in a separate filtered tank, for at least a month, feeding them live Mosquito larvae if possible, but if not flake, or bloodworms. :)

I hope this helped, and good luck!! ;)

They look kind of like Mosquito Fish. These fish eat Mosquito larvae, and are a great addition to a pond. They are live bearers, and kind of resemble guppies.

If you want to keep them in your tanks, quarantine them in a separate filtered tank, for at least a month, feeding them live Mosquito larvae if possible, but if not flake, or bloodworms. :)

They are Mosquito Fish! Thanks <3

OK Kreskin, how did you ID those? Isn't Mosquito fish another name for guppies or Endlers Livebearer or other related species in that group? And aren't they native to temperate to tropical regions? I will sing your praises from here to TFH headquarters if you are really right. A top view only is good detective work. I am standing by to eat crow.

It's quite difficult to identify fish from above and whilst they might be Gambusia, they could be something else. A side view of the fish is the best way to ID them. Trying to ID fish from above is a bit like trying to ID people when looking down at the top of their head.

Mosquitoe Fish is the common name for Gambusia species. These fish have been spread around the world to help control mosquitoes in freshwater. Unfortunately they are crap at their job and prefer to eat baby fish from native species. Nowadays, they are considered an unwanted pest and are usually killed on sight. However, get a positive ID (from a side view of the fish) before euthanising them.

Gambusia are renown fin nippers when kept with fish that have long flowing fins.

Guppies and Endler's Livebearers are in a different Genus to Gambusia and would have been better fish to use for controlling mosquitoes.

It's quite difficult to identify fish from above and whilst they might be Gambusia, they could be something else. A side view of the fish is the best way to ID them. Trying to ID fish from above is a bit like trying to ID people when looking down at the top of their head.

Mosquitoe Fish is the common name for Gambusia species. These fish have been spread around the world to help control mosquitoes in freshwater. Unfortunately they are crap at their job and prefer to eat baby fish from native species. Nowadays, they are considered an unwanted pest and are usually killed on sight. However, get a positive ID (from a side view of the fish) before euthanising them.

Gambusia are renown fin nippers when kept with fish that have long flowing fins.

Guppies and Endler's Livebearers are in a different Genus to Gambusia and would have been better fish to use for controlling mosquitoes.
Gambusia. I had that name right on the tip of my tongue but couldn't spit it out. As for my lumping them in with the guppies and Endlers, I had a suspicion about that statement as I was typing it but went right ahead and spewed erroneous information. Now I have egg on my face. See how old wives tales start ?

Gambusia are livebearers like guppies, Endler's, platies, mollies, etc, so they are related to some degree.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back