Uh oh, whats happening to my Amazon Sword?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
I pray pray pray that I don't have bad snails... Otherwise imma get some assassin snails
20230718_104154.jpg

looks like at least 3 on that plant.. they look like bladder snails... I didn't think those ate live plants???

looks like at least 3 on that plant.. they look like bladder snails... I didn't think those ate live plants???
They don't lol. So far, I've only seen ramshorn and bladder snails... They shouldn't be eating plants unless their rotting which they aren't.
Maybe they aren't getting enough food so they are now eating plants?

Bladder snails or pond snails (they look very similar) do not eat healthy plants. Never. They are grazing the leaf eating algae (that you cannot see) and whatever else might live in the biofilm on leaf surfaces. But they are absolutely not eating healthy leaves. They will however eat decaying/dying leaf bits, which are evident here around the hole areas, completely natural.

These holes might be due to light or nutrients or fish that do eat plants. What fish are in this tank? What is the light, nutrients. How long have you had these plants. I do think these are holes caused by fish, more than a light or nutrient issue, given the appearance.

Last edited:
Bladder snails or pond snails (they look very similar) do not eat healthy plants. Never. They are grazing the leaf eating algae (that you cannot see) and whatever else might live in the biofilm on leaf surfaces. But they are absolutely not eating healthy leaves. They will however eat decaying/dying leaf bits, which are evident here around the hole areas, completely natural.

These holes might be due to light or nutrients or fish that do eat plants. What fish are in this tank? What is the light, nutrients. How long have you had these plants. I do think these are holes caused by fish, more than a light or nutrient issue, given the appearance.
My light starts slowly ramping up brightness at 8:15 AM and then ramps all the way down at about 4:50-5pm.
I add 2-3 ml of Seachem Flourish each week a day after the water change as well.
I've had these plants since the initial start up date of May 15th

Also, no other fish besides the "pest fish" that was introduced on the plants which is a siamese algae eater

Hello Rocky. Are these holes just on one leaf? Older leaves can eventually slow or stop its use of nutrients. If this is the only leaf with holes, then remove it. This will encourage new plant growth. If several leaves are affected, then if it's the work of snails, you need to drop some Iceberg Lettuce leaves into the tank to attract the snails. Once you have several snails attached to the lettuce leaf, remove it and toss the leaf out into your garden.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I suspect the culprit is the so-called siamese algae eater. This fish is herbivorous. There are several species in the genus, and more than a couple of them turn up in the hobby as a "siamese algae eater." I said previously that the holes look like having been eaten out by fish, and I am now pretty sure of it. C. atrilimes is one of the species sold as "SAE" and it shows a preference for fine-leaf higher plants such as Vesicularia spp. But will also feed on various types of algae. [Seriously Fish]

Remember, this fish is on his own, and it expects to be in a group so it is highly stressed due to fear. Such fish frequently exhibit less-than-desirable behaviours as a result.

I suspect the culprit is the so-called siamese algae eater. This fish is herbivorous. There are several species in the genus, and more than a couple of them turn up in the hobby as a "siamese algae eater." I said previously that the holes look like having been eaten out by fish, and I am now pretty sure of it. C. atrilimes is one of the species sold as "SAE" and it shows a preference for fine-leaf higher plants such as Vesicularia spp. But will also feed on various types of algae. [Seriously Fish]

Remember, this fish is on his own, and it expects to be in a group so it is highly stressed due to fear. Such fish frequently exhibit less-than-desirable behaviours as a result.
How do I discourage this behavior? I almost thought that the SAE was behind it but when I looked them up it said they don't feed on live plants... So dang...

Hello Rocky. Are these holes just on one leaf? Older leaves can eventually slow or stop its use of nutrients. If this is the only leaf with holes, then remove it. This will encourage new plant growth. If several leaves are affected, then if it's the work of snails, you need to drop some Iceberg Lettuce leaves into the tank to attract the snails. Once you have several snails attached to the lettuce leaf, remove it and toss the leaf out into your garden.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
I might try that! Thanks!

I feel like they might be pond snails. They donā€™t normally eat plants I donā€™t think but if they donā€™t have any other food sources they will. Bladder snails wonā€™t eat plants no matter what so I think itā€™s pond snails. You could try and feed them or just get an assassin snail and get rid of them.

I feel like they might be pond snails. They donā€™t normally eat plants I donā€™t think but if they donā€™t have any other food sources they will. Bladder snails wonā€™t eat plants no matter what so I think itā€™s pond snails. You could try and feed them or just get an assassin snail and get rid of them.
I did add some fish food in today to hopefully curb their appetite lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back