Turtle Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cory mccabe

Reaction score
So I've been lookig for ages and ive finally upgraded my tank from 60 to 120 litre and it's really deep and bigger than it sounds. I want to get a turtle and wanted one for ages I know people will say it's to small but I've seen some on YouTube much much smaller than mine .. What's the best and easiest turtle to care for? Thanks cory

musk turtles are really the only turtle I would keep in something that small.
I have two.
Research them, they're pretty fun.

musk turtles are really the only turtle I would keep in something that small.
I have two.
Research them, they're pretty fun.

I had a quick look what about one map or would one musk be okay? Is the Internet shops reliable to buy the turtles from?

In a 120Ltre you could probably have a pair of musk turtles. I wouldn't know about the internet, I bought mine from the LFS.
If you look here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/353719-musk-turtle-set-up/ it is my set up, people have comented on how to improve it, use it so when you set yours up its all good. Davo86 on here is knowledgable about them and helpful.
Lots of branches and pieces of wood for them to climb on.

In a 120Ltre you could probably have a pair of musk turtles. I wouldn't know about the internet, I bought mine from the LFS.
If you look here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/353719-musk-turtle-set-up/ it is my set up, people have comented on how to improve it, use it so when you set yours up its all good. Davo86 on here is knowledgable about them and helpful.
Lots of branches and pieces of wood for them to climb on.
[/quote

Okay cheers mate. The onle shop near to me sold maps see so il have to keep looking. I noticed it saying about water depth does that really matter do I have to have low water levels? And do you have a uv lamp? I noticed the argument about it lol. How often do you change water?

I have it just over half so there is room to get out, I suppose if you fill the tank with branches etc for them to climb on and rest on with their heads out the water they will be fine. I have a UV bulb now, although it doesn't seem essential. I do about 15% water change twice a week, but it is very clean at that. (tank is right next to the sink so it's easy).

I have it just over half so there is room to get out, I suppose if you fill the tank with branches etc for them to climb on and rest on with their heads out the water they will be fine. I have a UV bulb now, although it doesn't seem essential. I do about 15% water change twice a week, but it is very clean at that. (tank is right next to the sink so it's easy).

What Map species are there, there are around a dozen species called map turtles?

The only map turtle that would just about be suitable would be a Male Mississippi Map turtle which grows to 5" females however get to 11" but as they can't really be sexd until they are large IMO in this instance its not worth buying one if you cannot house a fully adult female.

In a 120L you could comfortbaly house either two common Musks or one Razor back Musk Turtle

What Map species are there, there are around a dozen species called map turtles?

The only map turtle that would just about be suitable would be a Male Mississippi Map turtle which grows to 5" females however get to 11" but as they can't really be sexd until they are large IMO in this instance its not worth buying one if you cannot house a fully adult female.

In a 120L you could comfortbaly house either two common Musks or one Razor back Musk Turtle

Hey would one male Mississippi map be ok? I don't like the thought of nocturnal turtle tbh. My pleco hides enough haha. How do you stick the lamps above the docking station lol?

Hey would one male Mississippi map be ok? I don't like the thought of nocturnal turtle tbh. My pleco hides enough haha. How do you stick the lamps above the docking station lol?

You've just asked a question that I have answered above^^, yes a Male would work with exceptional filtration and maintenance but unless you get an adult Male turtle you could end up with a female that would last barely 6 months in that tank.

What do you mean nocturnal turtle? All turtles are somewhat active,

Put the UV bulb in the hood of the tank or add something like an arcadia overhanging luminaire

I don't mean to sound stupi just want to be extra sure and careful. I like the mud turtles they are cute aswell and the razor backs. But I don't think the store near me does them. Why would the female for in 4 months?

Why would the female for in 4 months?

A Females shell will get to 11" in diameter plus a few more inches for head and tail. so if you don't have room to upgrade to a tank of say 200-250L then the turtle is going to suffer

Why would the female for in 4 months?

A Females shell will get to 11" in diameter plus a few more inches for head and tail. so if you don't have room to upgrade to a tank of say 200-250L then the turtle is going to suffer

Aw right I get you I'll prob go for the littler guys :) they're awesome too. Going to look now actually. Does the heat lamp stay on the basking spot 24/7??

No expert but I think terrapins can get pretty big, if you're going with a 120L i really would just stick with musk turtles. Common, Razorback whatever size wise they are the most manageable. They are lively as well, so make good turtles to watch.

Most reactions

trending

Back