Turkey Baster feeding of Dwarf Frog?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

brogham

Reaction score
I recently added an African Dwarf frog to my tank and have not seen him feed yet(its been 4 days)! I have read most of the posts on the forums and was intrigued with the idea a few people had with feeding these creatures with a turkey baster to insure they are getting food. I have tried the methods of sinking pellets near the frog's hiding areas, and feeding with the tank lights off.

After reading about feeding the guys with a turkey baster I went out and bought one. This may sound ridiculous, but I couldn't figure out exactly how to (a) insert the bloodworms in the baster....i.e. do you suck up a lil tank water, then suck the worms into the baster?...or drop the worms into an empty baster? and (B) If the baster is empty, do you just plunge it into the water and squeeze the air out along with the worms? I tried it this way and it seemed the worms flew out and then floated to the top.....

I know it can't be as complicated as I am making it. Could one of you turkey baster feeders out there explain exactly how you are feeding from it?

Danke

well the way I used to do it was take a little tank water into a cup and drop some bloodworms in there (frozen ones work best as they will sink, freeze dried will usually float back to the top) you can add some fish flakes in with it as well and then suck up all the liquid in the cup, whille holding the liquid in the baster submerge it into the tank and towards the frog very slowly as they will usually run away if they feel someone coming near them..and just gently squeeze some of the food out, very slowly as it will all come out at once if you arent careful. Make sure you hold the baster atleast 4 inches above him so he doesnt scare away...even though I did this every other day for my 2 ADF they both still died of starvation..I gave up on them but alot of ppl have luck with them..so goodluck to you :)

i have 6 adfs in a 10g and they just hide all day under their java moss. I have no idea if they are feeding. I tried using a turkey baster to squirt bloodworms at them but they just ignored the pile of bloodworms landing all around them and swam off in search of the bloodworms they could suddenly smell :blink:

now i just drop them all at the front of the tank and hope that they find them...

I always fed mine algae wafers. As long as the other fish in the tank won't eat it before the frogs can, this works quite well. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back