Trying to Figure Out if This is Ich or Not?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Kinz

Reaction score
Okay, so Iā€™ve had a small 5 gal with glofish for years, and I upgraded to a 15 not too long ago. Maybe a month ish? I let it sit with plants and filter for a while before acclimating the 4 glo tetras I had into it (plus some snails), and about a week ago I got another tetra and 5 cory cats. I, regretfully, didnā€™t quarantine because at the time I didnā€™t realize I needed to. I definitely will from now on. (Thereā€™s four corys now because of a feeding problem but I got some sinking pellets for them)

Yesterday, after I finished cleaning that tank, I noticed this little spot on my pink glofish. I should note this isnā€™t the one I just added in.

B8440CB0-1764-4B1A-83A1-B1D8CFE86557.jpeg
Itā€™s tail and fin had been a little torn up before I moved them all over. I thought it was from stress or something along those lines, and itā€™s healed really well just since yesterday, but thought Iā€™d say something anyway. I donā€™t know if this is ich or something else though?? It doesnā€™t look solid enough, if that makes sense, though itā€™s definitely a bump, and I canā€™t tell if itā€™s spread or not. Pretty sure it hasnā€™t grown, but itā€™s only been 2 days. None of my other fish have any as far as I can tell. Itā€™s hard to tell because Iā€™ll think I see one, and it turns out to just be a sparkle on their scale haha.

Iā€™ve caught 2 of my corys flashing/flicking on occasion, but never for very long, and that might be because of water levels, honestly. I was only able to get a water tester kit today. Ph is around 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrites were at 2 ppm but I think I brought that down to 1 with a water and filter change (did a second water change 2 hours later so weā€™ll see if that helped as well in the morning), and Nitrates were around 30ppm.

This is all incredibly new to me, and definitely a learning experience, but thereā€™s only so much hours of research online can do for me. Sorry this is a bit long, but Iā€™d just like any kind of advice? Like should I get ich treatment or something else? What kind of treatment (ich or otherwise) is good for corys, plants, and snails?? This is all kinda stressful, but Iā€™m under the strict rule of I bought them, theyā€™re under my care, and Iā€™m going to do my best because of that. Any kind of help is massively appreciated!

Last edited:
Little update: Nitrite was brought down to 0 ppm as of this morning, and Nitrate is at 5-10 ppm. But, there might be another long finned glofish with a (very tiny) spot on their tail, and the pink one isnā€™t any better or worse besides their fins/tail just being more healed than before.
E42E77A2-70AE-46FE-BBE7-354EA68A751E.jpeg
A2B8F583-53EC-4F7E-98D1-8A3C699CA94E.jpeg
Iā€™m really starting to think itā€™s not ich cuz itā€™s not spreading and itā€™s now been about 3 days, but idk Iā€™m not an expert on this, so I could be totally wrong.

Those white bits don't look like ich, they are more like scar tissue either from fighting (bitten) or catching on something.

Those white bits don't look like ich, they are more like scar tissue either from fighting (bitten) or catching on something.
I was kinda starting to think that too, but itā€™s in such a strange place. It would make sense, though. The green oneā€™s always been a bit of a jerk on occasion. Thank you!

could be calcium deposits in the fin rays, which sometimes happens in older fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back