Tropical FF Pet Peeves

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The general concensus that Livebearers are dull, boring, beginner fish. Ever kept Four-Eyes? Goodeids? Pikes? I guess nobody likes big, predatory fish...:whistle:

Yes, that's been bugging me for a while. :look:

Nmonks, your post was extremely intellegent and interesting, I feel you deserve props for it.

Anyways, my main peeve is realising that when I had a tank how many things I did wrong.

Also, sea otters attacking my goldfish pond.

And then, having someone spray bug spray into my pond.

Trying to figure out how to acclimate river fish to my pond. The river is brackish, but I've had the fish I catch in there for several years after capture successfully until the forementioned otters assaulted my pond. I know that the specific fish I catch are more than capable of adapting from fresh to brackish, or vice versa, but not instantly.

Also, OTTERS!

And by the way, OTTERS!

Finally, seeing stingrays in the river and wanting to have them as pets, but knowing I couldn't ever.

Oh, also, OTTERS!

And also, not all sharks are carnvivorous - the biggest of all sharks is a herbivore. although I am not sure if there are any other herbivorous sharks....
For the record, whale sharks are not herbivores... they are primarily filter feeders, eating plankton (both phyto and zooplankton), krill, and the occasional fish. :)

My TFF pet peeve:
People posting once or twice, or not at all, to otherwise simple posts, esp. such things as posts by new members in the newbie section!

Hi Tempestuousfury, I'm confused about your peeve, could you clarify for me? Would you prefer people post more or less to simple posts? Or is it the simple posts that peeve you? Sorry my brain is tired from exams so I could use the extra explaining! :look:

Thanks.

z.

What I meant was that the questions are easy to answer-- pretty much anyone who has kept the fish in question would be able to answer the question. I've noticed people who have posted and have gotten 0 replies to a question that requires little if any effort to respond to.

The second part that pisses me off is when the only thing a person will post in an intro thread is ":hi: to the forum", typing the same exact thing for every single new post. I mean, read the post and try to give a response. Such a fickle welcome is worthless, IMO.

Thanks, TF! I get it now. Those are very valid peeves and I think I might have even done the second one so it's nice to know!

z.

1) When I do something incredibly ignorant (like add stock too quickly), then follow up with a stupid and careless mistake (like misread the medication dosage), and my slightly ill but treatable lovely and rare fish keels over dead==or my tank crashes.

2) When I am tired and burned out and react to the temptation to join in on a flaming and a young person gets hurt or quits the hobby.

3) When someone gives me advice that is clearly not correct, then gets angry or annoyed, because I disregard it.

4) When a newbie makes the same mistakes most of us make, but gets piled on and is "OMG!" ed rather than mentored.

:good: Thumbs up to the mentors!

5) Forums that turn over too slow. The ones that often give rude answers or no answers, rather than mentoring a hobbiest.

Threads like this one :p no only kidding ;)

- When you post a perfectly valid question and someone points out a small point about an unrelated topic based on what you've said (like having clown loaches in a 20g tank, yes I know they'll get bigger thats why Im saving for a bigger tank, OK!) and then lots of other poeple rant and rave that you've got the samething wrong or are doing something you shouldn't and you never actully get an answer to the orignal question.

Sam

Threads like this one :p no only kidding ;)

- When you post a perfectly valid question and someone points out a small point about an unrelated topic based on what you've said (like having clown loaches in a 20g tank, yes I know they'll get bigger thats why Im saving for a bigger tank, OK!) and then lots of other poeple rant and rave that you've got the samething wrong or are doing something you shouldn't and you never actully get an answer to the orignal question.

Sam

True, very true Sam.

Or when you take the time to post a long, detailed answer and then you're ignored and the person does what they want to do anyway.

Another one, 1 million bazillion views, 2 replies. :sly:

That is a real number, by the way.

Finally, when Steelhealr makes pretty T-shirt designs for TFF and doesn't include a Planted tank one. :-(
:p

Another one, 1 million bazillion views, 2 replies. :sly:

That is a real number, by the way.

Reminds me of the joke that when Rumsfeld reported to Bush that there was "a brazilian dead following riots in S America", he replied "God, that's terrible. How many is a brazillian?"

JOKE, pls don't give me a hard time my American buddies.

you think this forums bad. i used to be a regular on the uk xbox forums and the amount of spam and bitching that goes on there is insane. this place feels like a coffee shop in amsterdam in comparison lol.

Too right, I'm active on PS2 forums and hear you completely. I'm active on football forums too and they are even worse. Even on my hacking forums taking the mickey is standard procedure.

I remember in one of my very first posts here I took the mickey out of someone for a misspelling in a sign they were looking to make, by suggesting that the first thing they needed was a dictionary. Did it without thinking and got a slap from a mod for it. Never done that again. Took a while to get used to, but it is nice and calm overall- I reckon the banner could be changed to "the friendliest forum around" and ditch the fish bit. Good work mods!

1) There's no spell checker for those of us with really bad spelling
2) The search feature won't take 3 letter words. That was so annoying when I was trying to search for previous posts that might answer my question about fin rot. -_-

1) There's no spell checker for those of us with really bad spelling
2) The search feature won't take 3 letter words. That was so annoying when I was trying to search for previous posts that might answer my question about fin rot. -_-

Finrot would probably yield results.

If you check the board announcements forum there is an explanation of how to get round the minimum search thing too :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back