Transporting Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Missy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi There,
I'm planning to move in the next 6-8 weeks and thought I should have a plan in place to move my tanks. The drive to my new house is only about 10 minutes, FYI. I have no idea how to do this. I was thinking of removing all decorations then siphoning out most of the water so that only a few inches remained for the fish to stay in. I could save the tank water in gallon bottles or something and brace the bottoms of the tanks with planking so that the bottoms wouldn't have to support that weight themselves. Is this possible or is there a better way?

You should definitely bag up your fish for the journey - it's much safer. Also bag up your filter floss or filter inserts to try to preserve the bacteria. Likewise your gravel (which should be kept wet at all times). The gravel would probably be best in a bucket. Get some of those oxygen tablets for emergencies.

Try to keep about 50% of the tank water if you can - some old 20 gallon paint buckets with lids would be useful (you can get them from DIY stores, if you ask nicely). Otherwise you might have to borrow some containers from neighbours and whatever. If you can't save much of the water don't worry too much as most of the bacteria are in the filter and gravel anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back