Tips for putting Boraras merah in a 60cm paludarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Are there any tips and tricks when keeping Boraras merah in a 60 x 35cm paludarium? The water height's 14cm and the rest for the plants is 22cm. and I fear that they might jump. I pick them over a betta because of their tiny size and I need to keep 9-11 of them so they are in a big school. I'm trying not to overcrowd the paludarium and the AqAdvisor stocking calculator said they're too big despite measuring 2cm in size.

If the mentioned paludarium is not big enough for them, what is a suitable, larger paludarium size for keeping these fish?

There is a rule we should follow: make the aquarium/paludarium fit the fish. Don't make the fish fit the tank.

If I recall correctly, you don't have a paludarium and this is a thought experiment, right? If the fish you want is Bororas merah, do your research and see what size tank would work for the set up you intend. Paludariums have extra elements that demand a little extra work, and a lot of planning. You have a lot less water to work with,as you know.

There is a rule we should follow: make the aquarium/paludarium fit the fish. Don't make the fish fit the tank.

If I recall correctly, you don't have a paludarium and this is a thought experiment, right? If the fish you want is Bororas merah, do your research and see what size tank would work for the set up you intend. Paludariums have extra elements that demand a little extra work, and a lot of planning. You have a lot less water to work with,as you know.
Yes, but I wanted some advice on the appropriate size of paludarium for Boraras merah. I was thinking of a 60cm but that's the biggest my LFS goes. I'm planning currently and doing all my research on fish that could do well in a 60cm paludarium. I don't have a paludarium yet, I might do a paludarium workshop in April but the LFS hosting the workshops hasn't confirmed future dates yet. When the workshop starts, I will do a journal. Boraras brigittae can't be imported here yet. So Boraras merah is one of the only choices of the genus to pick.

The Bororas group are all very similar.

But if your research on fish says they wouldn't fit in a paludarium that size, you can't ignore it or wish it away. You have to keep looking, or make your own paludarium.

The Bororas group are all very similar.

But if your research on fish says they wouldn't fit in a paludarium that size, you can't ignore it or wish it away. You have to keep looking, or make your own paludarium.
Hmm, I was thinking because of that the water height (14cm) may not be suitable for bettas and because of the paludarium not having a lid, they can jump out. Do Boraras merah jump out of the paludarium? They're incredibly tiny and it will be my first time owning them, if I adopt 9 fish to form a group. Off topic, but once all my current tetras die from old age or disease (I care for them deeply and I do water changes by myself now), I may have to redo my 41L tall tank because of fake plants covered in brown stuff, not a good sight to behold for the hobbyist, replace them with real plants and maybe put nano-fish in here.

Here is the paludarium the LFS was talking about for the workshops:

Honestly, I see those as little toy tanks - gadgets. And they're expensive gadgets.

If I were an artist like you, I would go to basics, and learn how to create a paludarium using a real aquarium. Learn how to shape the decor and make what you want. People do that. I have no experience because I'm not a visual artist. I'm a writer. But you are good with colours and shapes. I'd explore that rather than paying a lot to purchase something fairly useless.

Honestly, I see those as little toy tanks - gadgets. And they're expensive gadgets.

If I were an artist like you, I would go to basics, and learn how to create a paludarium using a real aquarium. Learn how to shape the decor and make what you want. People do that. I have no experience because I'm not a visual artist. I'm a writer. But you are good with colours and shapes. I'd explore that rather than paying a lot to purchase something fairly useless.
I get that. I don't have my own spare tank yet, and I'm planning to get a separate aquarium in the future because I'm ready to look after another aquarium. Practice makes perfect. Practicing however, would be a great idea because I can improvise the setup I would need to fit the fishes' natural environment i.e. rainforest. Since Boraras sp. are from Asia, it can be difficult to replicate their environment exactly. I'm in the long process of planning via trial and error before I can make a paludarium for the first time in the workshop.

I know your opinions, and I respect them. I'm doing the project in the usual paludarium shape that commercial brands, like UP Aqua, make (right angled lines on the top of the tank). There is nowhere else in Perth other than two LFS that sell paludariums.

Be aware that boraris sp require extremely soft and acidic water. They also require extremely clean water and are very sensitive to nitrates. The pH requirement will limit your plant choices. My macro nano has a pH that is <5 and many plants that thrive in my other tanks will not grow in there, similarly I have plants that thrive here that will not grow in my other tanks. Ideally you would want far more than 11, 20-30 is probably a good starting point.

Be aware that boraris sp require extremely soft and acidic water. They also require extremely clean water and are very sensitive to nitrates. The pH requirement will limit your plant choices. My macro nano has a pH that is <5 and many plants that thrive in my other tanks will not grow in there, similarly I have plants that thrive here that will not grow in my other tanks. Ideally you would want far more than 11, 20-30 is probably a good starting point.
Yeah, I understand but it's a 60cm paludarium, the biggest one that the LFS offer at the workshop. The Boraras merah at the LFS are probably captive bred as per Australian government fish importing laws. They're expensive currently so I will try and keep at least 10 Boraras merah. But I understand that they live in large groups in the wild.

But, to return to your question - for a gimmicky, not well made paludarium like you linked to, Bororas are not appropriate fish. The tip is not to do it.

My last Bororas tank started by my getting 40+ fish, and ended with me giving away almost twice that many, as they bred happily in a single species tank with many times the amount of water that toy system you linked to has. They were at pH 6.6, 80tds and did fine (breeding is always an indicator), but they needed really clean water.

The design of that paludarium is poor. Any fish will jump out of that. A small volume of water, right up to the front lip? Disaster in the making. I would prefer a system where the front glass rose much higher - in effect, a normal aquarium shape with less water in it. I have almost eliminated jumping from my skittish species by allowing large leafed plants to hang over the water in open tanks. But the fish would also have to jump at least 15 cm to get over the front glass in those set ups. In the one you linked, all they'd need is to take a run at one bug, or be startled once, and they'd be dead.

A lot of aquarium equipment is designed to get your money, and not for function or humane fishkeeping.

Absolutely. It's early morning here. But I have no more to say about B merah - to me, the thread is done. It could become wishing, but it isn't a realistic project.

But, to return to your question - for a gimmicky, not well made paludarium like you linked to, Bororas are not appropriate fish. The tip is not to do it.

My last Bororas tank started by my getting 40+ fish, and ended with me giving away almost twice that many, as they bred happily in a single species tank with many times the amount of water that toy system you linked to has. They were at pH 6.6, 80tds and did fine (breeding is always an indicator), but they needed really clean water.

The design of that paludarium is poor. Any fish will jump out of that. A small volume of water, right up to the front lip? Disaster in the making. I would prefer a system where the front glass rose much higher - in effect, a normal aquarium shape with less water in it. I have almost eliminated jumping from my skittish species by allowing large leafed plants to hang over the water in open tanks. But the fish would also have to jump at least 15 cm to get over the front glass in those set ups. In the one you linked, all they'd need is to take a run at one bug, or be startled once, and they'd be dead.

A lot of aquarium equipment is designed to get your money, and not for function or humane fishkeeping.
Oh. Right. I understand that most fish are not appropriate for the setup because they can jump. I know you're concerned about the fish jumping because of the design of the paludarium. I know I'm a beginner, but I'm still learning as I go. I wish they had a higher water level for the paludarium, but most brands such as UP Aqua and UNS (my LFS doesn't have them) make paludariums that have 14cm high water height. My LFS does not have Bioscape paludariums, which are the better choice for Boraras merah because the water height for the 90cm paludarium is 30cm. I'm new to paludariums and I'm learning as I go to dip my feet into to the hobby.
Absolutely. It's early morning here. But I have no more to say about B merah - to me, the thread is done. It could become wishing, but it isn't a realistic project.
Not yet. I have to do all my research on the species and their care. Firstly, the design of the paludarium. We will discuss it in more detail. Unfortunately there is a limited choice for paludarium brands that the LFS sell. Okay, then, see you tomorrow. I'm still learning as a fishkeeper and we learn from beginner mistakes.

Although it can be daunting at first, it can be hard to care for fish in this type of paludarium due to no lids. My LFS sells these kinds of paludariums. It's almost 9pm here, I have to go to bed now. Goodnight @GaryE.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back