Tina's Nano Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Okay time for the update.

Last week I bought some frags. Zoas, GSP, button polyps and either a star polyp or clavularia (will explain).

All were doing well when they went in except 2, the Pachyclavularia and SP/clavularia. Tried leaving them, did not work, tried moving them, did not work, tried changing the flow, did not work. I was getting a bit annoyed at this point, there had to be a reason why the polyps were not coming out, instead of posting on here, I had to work this out for myself. I sat down with "THE BOOK" and kept coming back to one thing

"As mentioned under Clavularia, Pachyclavularia species are sensitive to the aluminium oxide in some phosphate-removing sponges."

I had bought cheap phosphate remover, I checked the tub, did not state what was in it. I had been done by false economy, I removed the phosphate remover from the filter and hey presto, slowly the polyps are coming out on both. At the same time I changed the carbon, only using the same amount, as Borneman states sudden changes in the amount of carbon remover can be detrimental to corals. I am awaiting the delivery of my tub of Rowaphos.

Had a very small 0.2 reading of Nitrite for a day after putting the frags in, probably the amount of live rock that came with the frags. This is sorted now.

Green Star Polyps (Pachyclavularia)

2005_0101nanoreef0068a.jpg

Star polyps or Clavularia

2009_0324nanoreef0018a.jpg

Zoanthus

2009_0324nanoreef0030a.jpg

Same one sulking after I moved it

2005_0101nanoreef0063a.jpg

2005_0101nanoreef0014a.jpg

2005_0101nanoreef0051a.jpg

2005_0101nanoreef0060a.jpg

Button Polyps

2005_0101nanoreef0067a.jpg

Sarcophyton and zoanthus

2005_0101nanoreef0064a.jpg

Okay after much deliberation with myself I then added this yesterday

Euphyllia paradivisa - Branched Frogspawn

2005_0101nanoreef0023a.jpg

Last night taken with flash under actinics

2005_0101nanoreef0007a.jpg

Today after it has settled in

2005_0101nanoreef0048a.jpg

I have also added a second actinic tube so I am now running.

2x 9500k Arcadia Marine White
1x 20000k Arcadia Actinic
1x 20000k Marine Glo Actinic

Blue Ebay LED Moonlights

As I have started to add LPS I have ordered the Magnesium test kit along with some supplements and a buffer as my pH is at 7.8 and will not budge.
This is what I ordered.
Seachem Reef Builder
and
Seachem Reef Complete

I already have KH/Alkalinity and Calcium test kits so will be adding as per advanced instructions.

I have also got another coral reserved, I will not add too many at once, that mini spike after the frags has warned me and I now have the frogspawn to think about. The reserved coral has a decent size piece of rock so that is why it is going in either late this week or next week.

I suppose now I ought to show the full tank shot, ok then I will :D

2005_0101nanoreef0056a.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

ah coming along nicely :good: if ROWA costs too much you can try PhosBan by Two Little Fishes which also uses iron instead of aluminum. having said that, ROWA is still the best phosphate remover out there as tested out my many and published in numerous articles online.

just a question, why's the frogspawn hiding in that corner? :lol:

ah coming along nicely :good: if ROWA costs too much you can try PhosBan by Two Little Fishes which also uses iron instead of aluminum. having said that, ROWA is still the best phosphate remover out there as tested out my many and published in numerous articles online.

just a question, why's the frogspawn hiding in that corner? :lol:

How about Ulti Phos from Ultimate Aquatics?

As good as Rowaphos but like 1/3 of the price or something.

where did you get them zoas from?! im getting my ass down there when i need some like that! beauties! are you testing for Mg, Ca, KH/alk yet? if not i would start testing.

:blush:

sorry i wasnt paying full attention :lol:

i would bring the frogspawn further forward too.

How about Ulti Phos from Ultimate Aquatics?

As good as Rowaphos but like 1/3 of the price or something

Thats what I was using. Never again!!

I am sticking with Rowaphos from now on.

i would bring the frogspawn further forward too.

just a question, why's the frogspawn hiding in that corner?

I am bringing it forward gradually, I put it there originally away from everything else (stinging tentacles) and because the light is slightly less intense there, did not want to light shock it. Will be moved forward a bit a day.

I am probably being overcautious but it is my baby at the moment.

Got the zoas off ebay, did not look that bright in the pictures, just look for any on there, they are all that good.

2005_0101nanoreef0056b.jpg

This is my plan, I know I am sad and have way too much time on my hands at the moment.

The red Hexagonal area is for frogspawn, Hammer maybe if there is room a torch aswell. The blue circle is going to be a zoa garden, The purple hexagon, may be riccia but may be some lps if I can get away with them on the rock above. The yellow rectangle in the left bottom corner is a little shaded and will be a mushroom garden, The purple and green circles need some height at the back so I am thinking kenya tree, nepthea and pulsing xenia, with lps in front. The brown square at the top will be for LPS and the star polyps will be moved and epoxied to the sides of the rock, once they have recovered a bit.

Any problems with my plan, please let me know, I am consulting "THE BOOK" as I go looking at my list of wants / likes and matching them to the placement in the tank.

I also want a Plerogyra, seen a lovely honey coloured aquacultured one, thinking about reserving that when I go in to pick up the reserved one. Where would you place that??

Thanks for the lovely comments :good:

Okay, just like buses you wait ages for one then 2 come along at once.

A few more pictures.

LED Moonlights

2005_0101nanoreef0090a.jpg

Now this is going to come as a surprise, NOT, look what my clowns have noticed since I moved it forward a little this morning.

2005_0101nanoreef0073a.jpg

2005_0101nanoreef0078a.jpg

Just have to keep an eye on this, don't want them irritating it too much :good:

Hopefully if I get a hammer and a bubble too, they may move between them.

Looks good,
but I'm getting raging hump now :angry: your clowns are hosting after days, mine are not in the slightest bit interested in hosting with my BTA or anything else in my tank, wanna swap clowns :rofl:

but I'm getting raging hump now your clowns are hosting after days, mine are not in the slightest bit interested in hosting with my BTA or anything else in my tank, wanna swap clowns

:rofl:

To be honest Trod, they were on there own in a 2ft tank with a Bubble tip anemone in the shop. I felt really guilty when I got them that they had nothing in my tank.

I will keep mine if you don't mind. Come to really love the cheeky little beggars :p Sorry just had to!

Yes ben I do have way too much time :nod:

mine wont host either :( i bet yours were just a twinkle in mum and dad clowns eyes when my two were about aswel

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

ner ner ner ner ner

:rofl:

Actually that is just soooooo childish. But I do feel it at times. Not often I get something to go how its supposed to lately.

I will probably regret that later when the frogspawn stops expanding as fully cause the clowns are irritating the hell out out of it. Need a hammer and a bubble, and hope they go between the three.

I really do think it is down to that anemone being in the tank in the shop. They have been hosting a powerhead for 10 days bless them, at least this is better.

You sure that's a Paradivisa and not a Divisia? Readson I ask is that frogspawns with that tentacle pattern are rarely Paradivisa. Is it already branching?

Otherwise, looks great so far :)

I think you are right actually skifletch, I was looking at this tonight. It was only labelled aquacultured honey in the shop. When I put it in I saw the three heads and presumed it was branching, I am now convinced it is as you say Euphyllia divisa.

I have also managed to feed it some mysis shrimp tonight too. Was a little worried about the first time I did this, I turned powerheads off and I have a pack of sterile transfer pipettes. I used one to gently squirt some across each head. Some was definatley taken, the remainder was eaten by the clowns not long after.

And thanks for the compliment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back