The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TigerIssey

Queen TI
Reaction score
Following on from my many questions in Nano section on this thread

Lots of Questions and Equipment Used

Thanks Ben, you were very patient with me!!

The fish departed for pastures new yesterday, the tank was cleaned and filled with RO water and TMC Pro Reef sat added. I had many arguements with the hydrometer in this process but finally got the knack and managed to get the required SG.

Saltwater only

100_0726a.jpg

Due to me being on crutches and the other half working all overtime he possibly could do, I ordered my Premium Grade A Fuji Live Rock from here Live Rock if any of you have seen this thread in Tropical Discussion Thread, it appears I have been very lucky to get DHL on my doorstep this morning at 8.15 with what I believe is actually more than 10kg of Live Rock!!

I decided to put egg crate down under the rock, here is the picture once LR added

100_0729a.jpg

and a closer shot

100_0730a.jpg

Then came the sand, I did use Caribsea Arag alive Fuji pink, I know some of you do not rate this but it was a good price so I am giving it a try, am in no rush if the cycle does take longer.

Other half poured in the sand

100_0731a.jpg

In with the sand was a packet of Bio-magnet clarifier stuff, whether it was because of this or not, 3 hrs later I had lovely clear water.

Some pictures of the live rock (beware, there are many)

100_0732a.jpg

100_0733a.jpg

100_0734a.jpg

100_0735a.jpg

100_0739a.jpg

100_0741a.jpg

100_0742a.jpg

100_0743a.jpg

100_0744a.jpg

100_0746a.jpg

Sideways shot to the right

100_0738a.jpg

Sideways shot to the left

100_0737a.jpg

Full Tank Shot

100_0736a.jpg

I am mostly happy although the top two rocks need a little fiddling. I have taken my two red LED lights out of the 55g and they are in the tank awaiting night to see if I have any critters.

I tested my water after all had settled just so that I have a starting point to go from. The phosphate and magnesium tests have not yet arrived so they are at the moment missing (waiting for marine blue light and HOB filter for LR rubble phos rem and carbon)

Temp 25
SG 1.025
pH 8.2
Calcium 520 mg/L (ppm)
KH 7.7 DKH
Alkalinity 2.74 meq/L
Ammonia 0.5 mg/L (ppm)
Nitrite 0.5 mg/L (ppm)
Nitrate 10 mg/L (ppm

Thats all for now, hope you enjoy
Tina

Man, I'm always jealous of the LR you UK guys get. Always better than ours, stupid laws :)

Thank you both, I was a bit unsure of not being able to choose it myself and it appears they went into liquidation on Thursday which makes it tripally lucky that I even got the stuff. It is definately on a par with what was in the LFS yesterday for £13.00 a kilo.

Mine still doesn't look that nice despite being in the tank for 2 years.
Whats the plan for this tank?

I definately want 2 TB ocellaris or percula clowns, the other half wants them to be a really deep orange colour, If I can get TB percs I am tempted to go with them as I like the thicker black lines on them. I have been drooling over Bens Carpenters flasher wrasse for a few weeks now (such a shame he lost it), the LFS have one in their display tank so I may get one of them aswell. The other half wants specific colours although I am pointing him towards certain fish that I like (if you tell him its what he wants for long enough, especially if he has had a few alcoholic drinks, he starts to believe it). I would definately like a goby of some sort, I love the way they sit watching things, they seem to have alot of character. Otherwise, it will be what takes my eye, have got another couple fish shops a bit further away to go check out so I want to see the type of fish they stock before I make final decisions. Part of the fun though is going slowly with this, I want to make the most of it, also in 3-4 yrs everything will swap over to my 55g (keeping a few fish from it that will swap to this tank, L260 plecs) so I want to make sure I make the right decisions now.

On Bens advice I am going to start with soft corals, add another light and try some LPS, have been reading Seffie and Trods journal (using it as reference) so I am going to get "THE BOOK" before I start buying any. I may end up adding even more lighting and trying SPS later on but as I say I want to go slowly, part of the fun for me with going marine is that I can go on and on with corals, so much different to freshwater.

I am going to build a DIY HOB refugium that will house my protein skimmer aswell, have bought a protein skimmer that will transfer to the 55g at a later date so it is a bit large for the current tank, hence putting it in the refugium. Have been surfing all over net looking at DIY projects. The tank sits on top of a drawer unit so there is no space for a sump on this tank unfortunately (will have one on the 55g). I also intend in a few months time to buy my own RO unit but have been trying to spread the costs out a little, another thing on my list is a refractometer, although I do appear to have got the hang of the hydrometer eventually. I would also like to get some moonlights.

Man, I'm always jealous of the LR you UK guys get. Always better than ours, stupid laws :)

whats the rule over there there then and yes we do get good lr

Looks good stuff that rock. You dont hang around do you

I don't no, I was keen to get it to this point, am not bothered now though am happy to take the next steps as slowly as possible. Have not seen any critters yet, had the red led lights on overnight, will continue to watch nightly. Will be keeping an eye on water tests and am looking around for where I will get CUC from.

I do have patience honest, I just wanted my pet rock!!

Need to let you water params settle and even out dont rush into things just to get an Instant Reef, believe me it takes time. At times it seems so frustrating but all will come right eventually. Mistakes can be costly so please be aware of that fact and take it nice and slow.
Ok, you decided on lighting yet. I think Ben recommened MH on your other thread, good choice if you have SPS and the likes in mind, If not then go with Interpet T5 Power Compacts. Daylight tubes and Blue tubes.
Looking good, I'll be folloing your progress.
Regards
C

Need to let you water params settle and even out dont rush into things just to get an Instant Reef, believe me it takes time. At times it seems so frustrating but all will come right eventually. Mistakes can be costly so please be aware of that fact and take it nice and slow.
Ok, you decided on lighting yet. I think Ben recommened MH on your other thread, good choice if you have SPS and the likes in mind, If not then go with Interpet T5 Power Compacts. Daylight tubes and Blue tubes.
Looking good, I'll be folloing your progress.
Regards
C
its a real shame but theyve stopped producing them because of a new law which was passed, unless you can get one second hand.

Looks good stuff that rock. You dont hang around do you

I don't no, I was keen to get it to this point, am not bothered now though am happy to take the next steps as slowly as possible. Have not seen any critters yet, had the red led lights on overnight, will continue to watch nightly. Will be keeping an eye on water tests and am looking around for where I will get CUC from.

I do have patience honest, I just wanted my pet rock!!

Oh that is some lovely pet rocks you have there, well done :good: you just wait, hours of fun to be had over the next few weeks just watching rock :lol:

Seffie x

:fish:

ps when do you get off your crutches?

its a real shame but theyve stopped producing them because of a new law which was passed, unless you can get one second hand.
What T5 Power Compacts
first I've heard of any such law.
<a href="http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue...ct-lighting.asp" target="_blank">http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue...ct-lighting.asp</a>
i emailed interpet about it and they have stopped producing them, but stores are selling old stock i believe, stupid European union :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back