brokenoob!

Reaction score
Hi there! I've been using the dry start method in my 40 gallon breeder for only 14 days from seed until now, and as you can see I have a crazy amount of growth. I believe I used one package of montecarlo seeds and the rest is random "aquarium grass" seeds from Amazon. Well this morning I went to check on the tank and found that a huge patch of the montecarlo leaves had turned dark purple and had some white cottony growth on it (unfortunately I pulled out most of it before I took these photos, but you can still see a bit of what I'm talking about in the aerial view)--I'm only using misted dechlorinated water, light, and three root tabs in a 40 gallon tank so I'm not sure what the issue is. Is the problem that I've waited too long to flood the tank? Based on the photos below, do you believe the tank is ready to be flooded? Note: when I pulled out some of the bad montecarlo it was pretty hard to do, the roots are well established already! Please let me know any thoughts you may have :)

Attachments

• IMG_3621.jpg
    IMG_3621.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4879.jpg
    IMG_4879.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 170
Sounds like mold on the ones that were white. I say fill it up. Try to remove as many white ones as possible.

I am currently attempting to grow some of my own Grass seeds for my aquarium and the listing said to grow them like you would a normal plant then once one inch is reached transfer them to your Tank.
Have I been doing this wrong?
Thanks in advance :)
Are you growing them as in a dry start?

Hate to be a bearer of bad news but from what I have seen these seeds are a bit of a scam, they are usually terestrial plants that will eventually fail in aquariums. Or from the emersed state of plants we want to grow submerssed which again are likely to fail when submerssed.

I believe pretty much every aquatic plant grows through either propogation - eg montecarlo, hair grass, helenthium tenelum, rhiozime spliting, eg Anubias, Java Fern (though Java Fern grows plantlets that propogate on adult leaves) or mid stem roots so if they break off it continues growing. Seeds dont feature much in aquatic plants.

Wills

Hate to be a bearer of bad news but from what I have seen these seeds are a bit of a scam, they are usually terestrial plants that will eventually fail in aquariums. Or from the emersed state of plants we want to grow submerssed which again are likely to fail when submerssed.

I believe pretty much every aquatic plant grows through either propogation - eg montecarlo, hair grass, helenthium tenelum, rhiozime spliting, eg Anubias, Java Fern (though Java Fern grows plantlets that propogate on adult leaves) or mid stem roots so if they break off it continues growing. Seeds dont feature much in aquatic plants.

Wills
ooo that's interesting--If it is a scam then I must have my hands on a miracle because this is almost 2.5 weeks after submersion! Growing like weed and I cant get it to stop! Excuse the massive algae bloom on the glass--showed up nearly overnight and is definitely the result of overlighting but I'll get some nerites in there soon enough!

Attachments

• IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3142.jpeg
    IMG_3142.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 123
Yep that looks good :) keep us updated.

From what I've seen in the past they will either keep growing to the surface so not a low growing carpet or gradually turn brown and melt as they are not able to thrive underwater, like I said either they are terrestrial plants or plants that can grow emersed or submersed but only use seeds for their emmersed state rather than propagation.

Interested to see what happens though

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back