Time to flood the tank? Dry Start Method

brokenoob!

Reaction score
Hi there! I've been using the dry start method in my 40 gallon breeder for only 14 days from seed until now, and as you can see I have a crazy amount of growth. I believe I used one package of montecarlo seeds and the rest is random "aquarium grass" seeds from Amazon. Well this morning I went to check on the tank and found that a huge patch of the montecarlo leaves had turned dark purple and had some white cottony growth on it (unfortunately I pulled out most of it before I took these photos, but you can still see a bit of what I'm talking about in the aerial view)--I'm only using misted dechlorinated water, light, and three root tabs in a 40 gallon tank so I'm not sure what the issue is. Is the problem that I've waited too long to flood the tank? Based on the photos below, do you believe the tank is ready to be flooded? Note: when I pulled out some of the bad montecarlo it was pretty hard to do, the roots are well established already! Please let me know any thoughts you may have :)

Attachments

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Sounds like mold on the ones that were white. I say fill it up. Try to remove as many white ones as possible.

TomRadford12354

Reaction score
I am currently attempting to grow some of my own Grass seeds for my aquarium and the listing said to grow them like you would a normal plant then once one inch is reached transfer them to your Tank.
Have I been doing this wrong?
Thanks in advance :)

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
I am currently attempting to grow some of my own Grass seeds for my aquarium and the listing said to grow them like you would a normal plant then once one inch is reached transfer them to your Tank.
Have I been doing this wrong?
Thanks in advance :)
Are you growing them as in a dry start?

Wills

Staff member
Reaction score
Hate to be a bearer of bad news but from what I have seen these seeds are a bit of a scam, they are usually terestrial plants that will eventually fail in aquariums. Or from the emersed state of plants we want to grow submerssed which again are likely to fail when submerssed.

I believe pretty much every aquatic plant grows through either propogation - eg montecarlo, hair grass, helenthium tenelum, rhiozime spliting, eg Anubias, Java Fern (though Java Fern grows plantlets that propogate on adult leaves) or mid stem roots so if they break off it continues growing. Seeds dont feature much in aquatic plants.

Wills

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days