Tiger Barbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beesboer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to ad a shoal of tiger barbs to my community. I want to know if this will work. And if not, what fish are not compatible, see my signature.

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't fancy having tigers with a Betta as they are renowned for being fin nippers... :( :unsure:

I have four tiger barbs in a tank with two guppies, and they are fine.

The Barbs tend to nip each other, rather then the guppies, and if they do try anything with the guppies, they run and hide and the barbs get bored.

I like Tiger Barbs, i might get some Cherry ones next time.

Definitely don't put tiger barbs with a betta; they'll shred his fins in short order. Despite Ed's good fortune, which I cannot discredit, I wouldn't recommend putting tigers with guppies, either. I love my tiger barbs, but they're not good fish to keep with anyone with long fins. Mine are in with several types of loaches and, most recently, an rtbs.

I echo AquaNut. The vast majority of barbs are perfectly safe in communities, but B. tetrazona has it's own rules, and one of them is that "a long fin is there to be nipped". Often, if you've got enough, they spend so much time chasing each other, they fail to notice the other tank inhabitants, but it is really only a matter of time before one gets bored one day and decides to see what else is going on.

I want to take my guppies and Betta out of the tank in to another. From what I have read, will the Tiger Barbs do fine and wouldn't heart any other fish. What about Tinfoil Barbs? Are there aggressive?

Tinfoil barbs get HUGE and need a minimum of a 100g (400l) tank IMO, they also need to be kept with large fish capable of competing with them for food, tinfoils are the garbage disposals of the fish world and never stop eating.

>>> Tinfoil Barbs

They do get very big, (they're a food fish in inland South East Asia), and certainly have an apetite, but they are mild mannered in general and do not harrass other, peaceful, LARGE tankmates.

If you want to keep barbs with guppies etc., you can't go wrong with Barbus titteya, (Cherry Barbs).

NO!!

Do NOT introduce tiger barbs. If your neons are small enough the barbs will eat them! That's what happened to me years ago when I introduced them into my tank. It was awful...poor neons. One desperate neon actually swam into one of the gravel airfilter tubes and got stuck there.

Further, as mentioned by the posters above. Your betta will be at constant war with the fin-nipping neons. I remember when mine bit/sucked the side of one tiger barb and shook it back and forth a few times before letting go.

I keep a little school of barbs in my tank with a Betta.

The barbs spend so much time playing around they never even notice him. Sometimes they do, he has a little ragged edge on his tailfin but that's to be expected when keeping a betta with other fish.

I am actually debating removing the betta because he is too agressive. He constantly flares and displays and chases my convicts. I have him in a little isolation tank because one female convict is resting now after being chased by him all night. He even bullies the other 4 cons around (2 are males 1 is unknown)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back