The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eaglesaquarium

Life, Liberty & Pursuit of the perfect fish tank
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hey folks

Just wanted to share that there's a thunderstorm tonight in my area and I'm sitting here watching my panda cories go absolutely berserk!  They are going all over the place.  Some eggs will be laid tonight, for sure.  I will continue to actually do "nothing" to save the little fry, but I might get another one or two pandas from this storm!

I just spotted yet another tiny little one (about 1/4 inch long) in the tank last night.  

I really might need to set up a proper breeding tank for these guys if things keep progressing as they have been.  The only thing I can't figure out is where the eggs are actually being laid, by and large.  Is it the anubias, java fern or the amazon swords?  I haven't seen any on the glass, except for one time and it didn't last very long.

eagle- you can pull cory eggs pretty soon after they are laid (an hour or so). Watch the female when she has the eggs between her fins. She will hunt for a good place to put them. The more she fears losing them, the harder she will try to hide them.

Many folks pull either the eggs or else remove the adults after a spawn for maximum survival rates. I was mostly an egg puller as its easier than nabbing the adults for me. I would actually siphon them out with an airline. I found trying to pick them up I lost most, my technique was awful I guess.

The only thing cuter than a cory fry is a pleco fry.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not interested in breeding cories right now - they've just been doing it for about a year now.  My cory crew has risen from 3 to 12 during that time due to breeding.  And I agree, panda cory fry are ridiculously cute, especially when you don't expect it!   

I've heard 2-3 days for panda cories.  But, then you have a swimming speck, literally not big at all.  So small, generally you can't see them unless they move.

I chronicled a "miracle" panda cory fry a little while ago here. It was nuts!

I discovered my first panda fry underneath the RUGF plate of my first tank. They were not alone, there were also a few swordtail fry as well. They must have gone down the uplift tube when I had removed the reverse flow powerhead to clean the intake sponge. That was why I removed the RUGF system.

Most recently found fry... image.jpg

Sorry for the awful quality, it's a photo from my iPad.

:lol:

Another, even smaller one popped out tonight!  These guys just can't be stopped!

Most reactions

Back