This weekend's musical treat

For this weekends music I though I would take something from the past and from the more recent times. If you do not know Leon Redbone you will after this. He does a fair number of tunes which were written a very long time ago. But some are not so old and many are somewhat amusing.

"Your Feet's Too Big" is a song composed in 1936 by Fred Fisher with lyrics by Ada Benson. It has been recorded by many artists, notably the Ink Spots and by Fats Waller in 1939.

Leon does a version.

(play in 480p)




"The exact author of "Polly Wolly Doodle" is unknown. However, the popular 19th-century folk and minstrel song is widely credited to songwriter Dan Emmett. It was first popularized in the 1840s by his group, the Virginia Minstrels, and later immortalized in 1880 via early Harvard student songbooks."

(play in 480p)




"Diddy Wah Diddy" is a song written by Willie Dixon and Ellas McDaniel, known as Bo Diddley, and recorded by the latter in 1956.

(play in 480p)



"Shine On, Harvest Moon" is a popular early-1900s song credited to the married vaudeville team Nora Bayes and Jack Norworth. It was one of a series of moon-related Tin Pan Alley songs of the era. The song was debuted by Bayes and Norworth in the Ziegfeld Follies of 1908 to great acclaim. It became a pop standard, and continues to be performed and recorded in the 21st century.

(play in 720 or 1080p)



"Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)" was written in 1924 by composer Milton Ager and lyricist Jack Yellen. The song was originally a massive hit for vaudeville singer Margaret Young (accompanied by Rube Bloom)

(play in 480p)
 
Late in posting again. So shoot me....

A little Lynyrd Skynyrd

(play in 720 or 1080p)




Or maybe some Jimi.....

(play in 480p)




"Stagger Lee" does not have a single known author; it originated as a 19th-century African American folk ballad that was first published in sheet music in 1911............. The classic rock and roll version that reached No. 1 on the Billboard charts in 1959 was credited to and reworked by R&B singer Lloyd Price alongside songwriter Harold Logan.

(play in 720 or 1080p)




Even the Fab Four get into the act......

()play in 1080p)



And for a finish I am serving up some Hot Tuna.


(play in 480p)
 
I would have to sit down to list how many variations on the Stagger Lee ballad I have here. My favourite is "Wrong 'em boyo" by the Clash way way back in the early 80s. The arrangement was a cover of an obscure Jamaican cover from the sixties. I once put together a compilation of versions of that song for a friend who was a bit of an amateur musicologist. We had quite a lot to listen to with folk, ska, rock, blues, and so many other styles of it.

Just a sad and stupid gambler's murder story with great characters who have no idea of why they're doing what they're doing - killing and getting killed. It had a long appeal - stupid, pointless crime is always familiar.
 
I am in the mood for more Playing For Change | Song Around The World. SOme of these I might have played before but they are all good tunes.

"Cross Road Blues" (commonly known as "Crossroads") is a song written by the American blues artist Robert Johnson.............. "Cross Road Blues" may have been in Johnson's repertoire since 1932 and, on November 27, 1936, he recorded two takes of the song. One was released in 1937 as a single

(You can get this up to 2160p 4k)




"Down by the Riverside" (also known as "Ain't Gonna Study War No More" and "Gonna lay down my burden") is an African-American spiritual. Its roots date back to before the American Civil War............ it was first published in 1918

(play in 720 or 1080p)




"Ripple" was written by the Grateful Dead's core songwriting team: lyricist Robert Hunter penned the words, and Jerry Garcia composed the music. The beloved folk ballad first appeared on the band's 1970 album American Beauty


(play in 720 or 1080p)






"Iko Iko" was originally written by New Orleans singer and pianist James "Sugar Boy" Crawford. He wrote and recorded it in 1953 under the title "Jock-a-Mo" by blending traditional Mardi Gras Indian chants with his own music..........
The song was first made popular as "Iko Iko" in 1965 by an American girl group, the Dixie Cups, who scored an international hit with it. In 1972, Dr. John had a minor hit with his version of "Iko Iko".


(You can get this up to 2160p 4k)





This video was created through a partnership between PFC and the United Nations Millennium Development Goals Achievement Fund. We realize that true change for the good of everyone always comes from the hearts of the people, and with music, we can unite together to make the world A Better Place.
I try to listen to this sing several times a year,
(play in 720 or 1080p)
 
Apologies for missing this past weekend's musical treat. I just got home from a week in the hospital.

I will resume posting this coming weekend.
 
OK- decided to do a quick warm-up.

By the gent who wrote the tune.
(Play it in HD)



And a few notes from Louie.

"St. James Infirmary" is widely classified as an anonymous American traditional folk song. Its earliest known roots trace back to the 18th-century English folk ballad "The Unfortunate Rake."

Historically, authorship has been claimed by and credited to different figures who popularized various versions of the song: [1, 2]
  • Joe Primrose: This is the most common credit found on sheet music and official registrations. It is actually a pseudonym for music publisher and manager Irving Mills, who copyrighted the jazz version in 1929.
  • Don Redman: Saxophonist Don Redman was credited as the composer on Louis Armstrong's legendary 1928 recording, which helped cement the tune as an American standard.
(Play it in HD)
 
You know I like many of your "World Music Change" threads. We listened to all the songs that came after 1. So many good old tunes! My dancing hips. feet & shoulders are tired. I forgot to just let your music choices ride! Now I need a time out or maybe bedtime soon.

I'm sorry you had health issues, I'll talk to you soon...
 
I hope you're feeling better.

If you were to ask me about the greatest bands ever, Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives and Sevens would be up at the top. His version of St James Infirmary, like West End Blues and Sugar Foot Strut are as good as anything gets. But it isn't a cheerful tune for when you're on the mend.

I used to work with a man who had the musical interests of the average brick, and yet who had met Louis Armstrong in an elevator in St Louis. Was I a little jealous? Yeah.
 
@GaryE

I am a fan of the Big band era. This includes at the top of the list Benny Godman in all his flavors- bigh band of quartet. One of my favorite vids is this one of his 1938 Carnegie hall Concert and especially 12-min version of "Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)" live @ Carnegie Hall, 1938. ENJOY!


​

 
@GaryE

I am a fan of the Big band era. This includes at the top of the list Benny Godman in all his flavors- bigh band of quartet. One of my favorite vids is this one of his 1938 Carnegie hall Concert and especially 12-min version of "Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)" live @ Carnegie Hall, 1938. ENJOY!


​


That's a great number that sneaks into my car playlists. That one from Goodman, lots of Count Basie and some Duke Ellington. I tend to like smaller 'combos' - the pre big band era, and that really fun late forties early fifties jump blues scene that came out of the collapse of the big bands. You don't have to have been alive during a musical era to love it. Big Jay McNeely, Roy Milton, and the great Louis Jordan were something.

My Dad played drums in the swing era version of a garage band. Maybe it was "punk swing". He would only listen to music from a ten year period, and nothing before or after interested him. Louis Armstrong was a household god, and I still remember the day he died. It hit my Dad the way Joe Strummer later hit me. My Aunt was time warped in her youth's rockabilly and early Elvis, and listened to nothing else. My Mom liked jump blues. I was given my cousin's record collection when he was murdered, and he was into country rock and British blues. I was very fortunate to got to listen to it all as I grew up with woeful prog rock and early metal on the radio, and I never liked it much. Things opened up in the mid seventies onward, but I got to pivot back to a lot of good eras.

In this digitized music world, it's all out there to be explored.
 
Music has been around for a very long time. What we have today is a big change from the past. Looking at the end of the 1800s into the early part of the 1900s music changed. For one it bexame less "tribal" and more punlic. We tale for granted how public and easy music is. In my youth there wer rercords, then tapes followed by CDs and today streaming and digital sources. We ave love concerts attended by over 100,000 people. But this week I am offering music from the bygone era. It was called ragtime.

Scott Joplin (November 24, 1868 – April 1, 1917) was an American composer and pianist. Dubbed the "King of Ragtime", he composed more than 40 ragtime pieces, one ragtime ballet (original version of "The Ragtime Dance", 1899/1902), and two operas. One of his first and most popular pieces, the "Maple Leaf Rag", became the genre's first and most influential hit, later being recognized as the quintessential rag.

(play in 720 or 1080p)




The way folks could play the initial form of recorded music was the plater piano. A roll of paper with holes punched in was the key.

(play in 720 or 1080p)




Here is how one of Joplins compositions sounds when played on our modern pianos. This one is a Steinway Grand.

(play in 720 or 1080p)



A few films have been made which feature the era and the music.
Epic Duelling Piano Scene (HD) from Scott Joplin (1977) | TUNE

(play in 720 or 1080p)




Finally, there is a good movie from 1981 about the era and the music suitabky tited Ragtime. It was James Cagney's last film appearance. I have seen the movie and it is pretty good. Here is the trailer for it/

(play in 720 up to 4k)
 
I read a musicologist's analysis of archived radio playlists from early in that technology, and it was fascinating. Genre as we know it didn't matter. You could have a jazz tune, then a piece by Bach, then country, then ragtime, then Rachmaninov... music was seen as music and the style names weren't fractured or marketed as they are now. I'm a "splitter" with fish species, but when it comes to music, I think there's value in looking at broader categories.
I started making a few eclectic car mixes (I don't use streaming in the car, but load my collection onto thumb drives and let the car shuffle them) and wildly different mixes work. You can go from Burna Boy to Bach, to Burning Spear, Bad Bunny, Badfinger, BB KIng, Count Basie, Bob Dylan and Bob Vylan. It's jolting at times, but it keeps me alert on long drives...
 
Holy moly! I can't believe this!

Just discovered this thread and look forward to scrolling and listening to all the posts. Wonderful stuff. The Darci Lynne posts were wonderful. I never in a million years thought I'd find another Leon Redbone fan. Never.

 

Most reactions

Back
Top