This weekend's musical treat

Sister Rosetta Tharpe? :oops: I'm going to make it my week's work to listen to everything in this entire thread. I'm 8 years behind you but I think our tastes may run in some winding parallels.
 
My mom was a Scott Joplin ragtime fan & also a John Phillip Sousa "The March King" lover. A few Broadway shows, a couple of operas & the Beatles were on my childhood playlists too. My dad was more into Bessie Smith, traditional & "modern" folk & bluegrass. I grew up in a university town so I heard Afro & Asian music too sometimes. Bugs Bunny cartoons also had interesting music, opera arias & jazz! I feel I had a fairly well-rounded music exposure,

Sometimes I like to sing along, cry or sway to the music, but my favs make me want to dance!
 
This weekend's music is a gift to we the grateful living courtesy of the Grateful Dead.

I saw them for the first time in 1971 at the Yale Bowl. I saw them 4 or 5 times over the years. My brother was a Dead Head. This is a two post weekend as they were one of the more prolific bands there ever was/

(play in 720 or 1080p)




(play in 720 or 1080p)




(play in 720 or 1080p)




(play in 720 up to 2160p 4k)




(play in 720 up to 2160p 4k)
 
Last edited:
(play in 720 or 1080p)




(play in 720 or 1080p)



(play in 720 or 1080p)




This is from--> "The 1970 Festival Express (officially the Transcontinental Pop Festival) was a traveling music festival that toured Canada by train. It featured a legendary lineup of musicians including Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, The Band, Buddy Guy, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and Delaney & Bonnie & Friends."

(play in 720 or 1080p)




(play in 720 or 1080p)
 
I actually went to a show last night. I've had this rule that I don't do nostalgia music - if I saw a band in their glory days I don't want to see them as geezers like me. But rules are made to be broken, and I was offered tickets to Billy Bragg. It's the fourth time I've seen him, but the first since sometime in the 80s.

He was great - still full of energy, but not pretending he was still 25.

There are a lot of bands I'd like to see, but they aren't going to show up in our rusty old port. If good new bands came by, I'd go to them too. But economically, we'll get the odd solo artist here. Full bands can't afford touring to sleepy towns.
 
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is a 1968 nonfiction book by Tom Wolfe written in the New Journalism literary style. The book presents a firsthand account of the experiences of Ken Kesey and a group of psychedelic enthusiasts, known as the Merry Pranksters, who traveled across the United States in a colorfully-painted school bus they called Furthur. Kesey and the Pranksters became famous for their use of psychedelic drugs (such as LSD) to achieve expansion of their consciousness. The book chronicles the Acid Tests (parties with LSD-laced Kool-Aid) and encounters with notable figures of the time (Hells Angels, Grateful Dead, Allen Ginsberg), and describes Kesey's exile to Mexico and his arrests.

The Grateful Dead served as the house band for Ken Kesey's legendary "Acid Tests" in 1965. These LSD-fueled, multimedia happening parties were immortalized in Tom Wolfe's 1968 counterculture classic, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. The experience birthed the Dead's improvisational style and launched the psychedelic rock movement.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test captures the origin of the late-1960s hippie subculture, focusing on Kesey and his "Merry Pranksters" as they traveled the country in a colorfully painted bus named Furthur.
The Grateful Dead's connection to the Acid Tests was a defining period for both the author and the band:
  • The Warlocks Transition:When the band first attended and played the gatherings, they were still performing under the moniker "The Warlocks". It was during this era—specifically around December 1965—that they officially changed their name to the Grateful Dead.
    • Sonic Chaos: Jerry Garcia famously noted that the band wasn't merely there to play structured concerts. Instead, the Acid Tests provided a zero-pressure environment where they could experiment with loud, avant-garde feedback, play for minutes or hours, and create the improvisational "aural impressions" the Pranksters

Interesting book which i have read. In 1968 I was 20 years old. I lived a lot of it. Yes, I was a hippie for some time. It was a truly unusual era. As the Dead lyric goes - "What a long strage trip its been."

The quote "What a long, strange trip it's been" originates from the 1970 Grateful Dead song "Truckin'". The lyrics were written by the band's primary lyricist, Robert Hunter, and the song was sung by guitarist Jerry Garcia, who is most commonly associated with popularizing the phrase.
 
I used to hang around with the daughter of one of those sixties scene characters - the Jack Kerouac scene. There I was, doing the post hippy reading list and having the daughter of a character in a semi-novel (On the Road) I had in my hands sit down at the table and dish on some of the realities of those guys. It was thought provoking, at the very least.

I had Workingman's Dead for a while, and listened to the Grateful Dead a bit. I kept thinking there had to be an album I hadn't heard when I saw the mania around them. I think the followers were the show, not the actual band alone. It looks like it was a lot of fun while it lasted. I don't think the recordings catch what must have been going on, because the 'Dead Heads" I knew loved the culture around that band.

Some of the greatest bands I've seen don't actually sound great on record or on video. It was the intangibles - the buzz around them, the charisma they had, the things that are hard to record that added up.
 
I have always had a curious mind. It is what led me to read all the research papers relating to the microorganisms which do the cycle in tanks and that led to other related topics in terms of keeping fish. This curiosity streak has stayed with me even as my memory has not been as sharp. Music has always interested me, especially rock and roll.

I recently became curious about the true roots of rock and roll. It turned out that the Google AI and a number of other sources got it wrong. I learned something new as I had thought what those sources said was accurate, so I was surprised t find that I needed to dig deeper.

Hang in there and you will hear what I heard as it will be the musical treat this weekend.

In my lifetime I have listened to music on records which spun at 78, 45 and 33 RPM. I owned a reel to reel tape recorder before I got 8 track and then cassette tapes which helped me keep my sanity when I worked for 18 months in Saudi Arabia. Then came CDs which is where I stopped. I confess that I do not have any digital recordings. My car has a CD player so I have CDs. However. I listen to and often get to watch a lot of music on Youtube.
 
2tank, I think your bro is the real Dead fan lol. I only know & like a few. Ken Kesey & the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test was almost required reading in my early teens (along with Herman Hesse, etc)

GaryE, we both liked your Billy Bragg song! For some reason I equate his name with acting or maybe a talk or game show or something equally light. Why is that?

& now we've segued to best of U2
 
Last edited:
BIlly Bragg was right after punk, as a folk artist who was 100% electric. He was and is a leftie rabble rousing troublemaker, and a writer with a fine poetic twist. No acting or TV stuff - he had a following in the 80s and all the white haired crowd was singing along at his show, even in this small town.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
 
This reminds me of my favorite Grateful Dead joke.

What did the Deadhead say when he ran out of pot?

"This music sucks!"

I've never met a Deadhead that liked that joke. But I tell it to every one of them I meet.
 
I bet 2tank's bro would hate that joke, Rusty.

So what's up for this weekend's treat? We're having old Santana ATM
 
So, rock and roll has it roots in older forms of music. ny the 1950s the rock genre was firmly in place, but there is this from 1938 - 1949. counting backwards (this is post #1 of 2)

1949

Jimmy Preston - Rock the Joint (1949) HQ​

(play in 720p)



The Fat Man (version 1) - December 10, 1949​

(play in 720 or 1080p)



1948

John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillen' [1948]​

(play in 720p)



1947

Roy Brown - Good Rockin' Tonight 1947​


(play in 720p)



1945

(Champion) Jack Dupree Trio - Let's Have A Ball​


(play in 720 or 1080p)
 
1945

Move it on Over - Hank Williams​


(play in 480p)



1941

Sister Rosetta Tharpe & The Lucky Millinder Orchestra • “Shout Sister Shout • 1941​


(play in 480p)



And now we find ourselves in

1938

Pete Johnson and Joe Turner - Roll 'Em Pete (1938)

(play in 480p)



And to finish lets travel into the 1970s and 1980s -->


We did the sound for a concert by this band

Sha Na Na - Rama Lama Ding Dong (1973)​


(play in 720 or 1080p)



Stray Cat Strut
This is the third single by American rockabilly band Stray Cats, released April 17, 1981

(play in 720 or 1080p)
 
It is summer and that means a lot of .........


(play in 720 or 1080p)



In the 1950s long before there was FM radio my dad used to sing as he drove when we took family trips. Of course he sang the songs from a time before I was born. This was one of the songs I know the words from as I heard it a lot.

(play in 720 or 1080p)




(play in 720p)




(play in 720 or 1080p)




(play in 720 or 1080p)



One thread wont hold all the music once again so hit the post below for the other half :cool:☀️
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top