This weekend's musical treat

I think I got a mild case of food poisoning Friday evening from a decent restaurant take out. I had stomach trouble by early morning Saturday which gone by mid-afternoon today. But it caused me to cancel my planned trip away. It is rescheduled for the 1st weekend in April. So, I felt guilty about the cop out pest above. So here is a bit of a bonus

Here are two recordings where I was in the audience when they were made. The first is a recording made in Nov. 1969 in Baltimore Marlyand of Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones. The entire show was recorded and one song made it onto the Get Your Ya Yas Out album. I was 100% there for the entire show. Mick Taylor had recently joined the band. He was the only true lead gitar player they have had, IMO.

(play in 480p)


You can hear the entire concert here www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSFRzdhcKK4

The second tune I am only pretty sure I was there that night. It was Bonnie Raitt at the Shaboo Inn. I did see her there in the 1970s, The song is described on Youtube as "Bonnie Raitt performing Give It Up Or Let Me Go live at The Shaboo in Mansfield Connecticut. Year unknown." But consider these facts:
Opened on October 22, 1971, by 19-year-old David "Lefty" Foster and partners.
"Shaboo" is a Lebanese word meaning "What's wrong with you?".
Known for its intimate, crowded, and noisy vibe, featuring a tiny 15x30-foot stage only one foot off the ground.
The inn closed in May 1982 and was destroyed by a fire just months later on August 13, 1982.
So mot of the songs recorded there were from the 1970s. I am pretty sure Bonnie only played there a number of times in the 70s. So I cannot say I am sure I was there when this recording was made. But it would not surprise me if it was the case.
(play in 720p66)

The Shaboo had its own sound system so we never did any shows there. However, we did do sound for a few of the acts that played the Inn but at other venues.=--> The Rhinestones, NRBQ, Taj Mahal, Muddy Waters, Climax Blues Band and The Persuasions.


Talk about a great show:

1774243383935.png


I was not at that show but I was at a Dec.21, 1989 benefit concert in Madison Square Garden in NYC which featured Little Feat, Guest stars who appeared with them were Bonnie Raitt and Aaron Neville. My brother managed to get us seats in the 4th cent center stage. Amazing seats. Here is the whole concert.

(play in 360p the best I could find)


Set List:
01 Fat Man In The Bathtub
02 All That You Dream
03 Rocket In My Pocket
04 Changin' Luck
05 Cajun' Girl
06 Rad Gumbo
07 I'd Hate To Lose Your Lovin' (with Bonnie Raitt)
08 Oh, Atlanta09 Texas Twister
10 Willin'
11 Rock n' Roll Doctor (with Bonnie Raitt)
12 Old Folks Boogie (with Ed Bradley from CBS 60 Minutes)
13 Let It Roll
14 Dixie Chicken (with Bonnie Raitt)
15 Tripe Faced Boogie
16 Feats Don't Fail Me Now
17 Merry Christmas Baby (with Bonnie Raitt and Aaron Neville)
 
Last edited:
Here we go again. I am posting last minute and doing a singles song different artist weekend.

"I Can't Stand the Rain" was written by soul singer Ann Peebles, her partner (later husband) Don Bryant, and DJ Bernie Miller. Released in 1973 by Peebles, the song was inspired by a sudden thunderstorm that forced them to cancel plans, leading to the creation of the hit in just a few hours.

Title track from her 1973 album 'I Can't Stand The Rain'

(play in 720 or 1080p)



Here is the version by the Commitments.
Released on: 1991-01-01

(Play in 720p)



Eruption - I Can't Stand the Rain
(Musikladen 03.12.1977)

(play in 720 or 1080p)



I Can't Stand the Rain · Lowell George
Thanks, I'll Eat It Here - 1979 Warner Records Inc.

(play in 720 or 1080p)



And who better to sing us out than Tina?
From a 1985 live performance

(480p is what there is)
 
Well, you know I'm always late to the music party. We listened to the Stones 1st song & Bonnie's 1st, we liked them! But we're heading toward bedtime now. more later.
 
As a tribute to the folks in this thread: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/mlb-2026.499141/ ,I offer this weekends musical treat

Take Me Out To the Ball Game by Edward Meeker September 1908 recording. This is the original 1908 lyrics.

(play in 360p the best offerred)




"Talkin' Baseball (Willie, Mickey & The Duke)" is a 1981 song written and performed by Terry Cashman.

(play in 720 or 1080p)



The Greatest written by acclaimed Nashville songwriter DonSchlitz and famously recorded by Kenny Rogers in 1999 and released on the album She Rides Wild Horses.

(play in 360p the best offered with this background vid)



Centerfield was written, produced, and originally performed by John Fogerty.
Released in January 1985 as the title track of his comeback album of the same name.

(play in 720 or 1080p)



The Ball Game - Sister Wynona Carr
This song by Sister Wynona Carr was played at the end of the new Jackie Robinson movie, "42." It can be found on her "Dragnet For Jesus" album and also on the movie's soundtrack.

(play in 720 or 1080p))
 
Last edited:
I'm gonna add one. This may be more regionally focused, but the best baseball song ever is A Dying Cub Fans Last Request by Steve Goodman.
Steve was a lifelong Cubs fan and famed singer songwriter, penning the hits The City of New Orleans covered.by many artists, as well as the "perfect country and western song" You Never Even Called Me By My Name which was covered and made famous by David Allan Coe.
Take pleasure in the humor and pain of being a Cubs fan.
 
Another shot at one song which many have covered oover the years.

It was written in 190 By:
Lucille Bogan (née Anderson; April 1, 1897 – August 10, 1948)[1] was an American classic female blues singer and songwriter, among the first to be recorded............ Many of Bogan's songs have been recorded by later blues and jazz musicians. In 2022, she was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame

Sloppy Drunk Blues​


(play in 720 or 1080p)




Jimmy Rodgers and his rocking four, Chess Records 1954

(480p is the top option)




BB King - Sloppy Drunk (Previously Unissued)
Sloppy Drunk (King Of The Blues 1992 Box Set Version)

(play in 720 or 1080p)




Michael Bloomfield -
Sloppy Drunk (Album: Michael Bloomfield ) 1978

(play in 720 or 1080p)




And my favorite version.
In concert at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, NJ, David Bromberg and his Big Band perform "Sloppy Drunk,"
From the Vestapol DVD "David Bromberg and his Big Band."

(360p is the best there is and surprisingly decent)
 
This week is dedicated to another great we have lost. The below is from Wikipedia:

Leon Russell (born Claude Russell Bridges; April 2, 1942 – November 13, 2016) was an American musician and songwriter who was involved with numerous bestselling records during his 60-year career that spanned multiple genres, including rock and roll,[3] country, gospel, bluegrass, rhythm and blues, southern rock,[4] blues rock,[5] folk, surf and the Tulsa sound. His recordings earned six gold records and he received two Grammy Awards from seven nominations. In 1973 Billboard named Russell the "Top Concert Attraction in the World".[6] In 2011, he was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.[7]

Russell collaborated with many notable artists and recorded 33 albums and 430 songs.[8] He wrote "Delta Lady," recorded by Joe Cocker, and organized and performed with Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen tour in 1970. His "A Song for You," which was named to the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2018, has been recorded by more than 200 artists, and his song "This Masquerade" by more than 75.[9]

As a pianist, Russell played in his early years on albums by the Beach Boys, the Ventures, Dick Dale, and Jan and Dean. On his first album, Leon Russell, in 1970, the musicians included Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison. One of his early fans, Elton John, said that Russell was a "mentor" and an "inspiration".[10] They recorded their album The Union in 2010, earning them a Grammy nomination.

Russell produced and played in recording sessions for Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra, Ike & Tina Turner, the Rolling Stones, and many other artists. He wrote and recorded the hits "Tight Rope" and "Lady Blue". He performed at The Concert for Bangladesh in 1971, along with Harrison, Dylan, and Clapton; for this, he earned a Grammy Award.

So this weekend's musical treat is a live hour of early Leon from 1970-12-05:

Leon Russell and friends recorded the Homewood Sessions at the Vine Street Theatre in Hollywood, broadcast as an unscripted and unrehearsed one-hour TV special.

(play in 482p)




If you cannot get through the music consider this:

 
Last edited:
This week is dedicated to another great we have lost. The below is from Wikipedia:

Leon Russell (born Claude Russell Bridges; April 2, 1942 – November 13, 2016) was an American musician and songwriter who was involved with numerous bestselling records during his 60-year career that spanned multiple genres, including rock and roll,[3] country, gospel, bluegrass, rhythm and blues, southern rock,[4] blues rock,[5] folk, surf and the Tulsa sound. His recordings earned six gold records and he received two Grammy Awards from seven nominations. In 1973 Billboard named Russell the "Top Concert Attraction in the World".[6] In 2011, he was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.[7]

Russell collaborated with many notable artists and recorded 33 albums and 430 songs.[8] He wrote "Delta Lady," recorded by Joe Cocker, and organized and performed with Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen tour in 1970. His "A Song for You," which was named to the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2018, has been recorded by more than 200 artists, and his song "This Masquerade" by more than 75.[9]

As a pianist, Russell played in his early years on albums by the Beach Boys, the Ventures, Dick Dale, and Jan and Dean. On his first album, Leon Russell, in 1970, the musicians included Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison. One of his early fans, Elton John, said that Russell was a "mentor" and an "inspiration".[10] They recorded their album The Union in 2010, earning them a Grammy nomination.

Russell produced and played in recording sessions for Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra, Ike & Tina Turner, the Rolling Stones, and many other artists. He wrote and recorded the hits "Tight Rope" and "Lady Blue". He performed at The Concert for Bangladesh in 1971, along with Harrison, Dylan, and Clapton; for this, he earned a Grammy Award.

So this weekend's musical treat is a live hour of early Leon from 1970-12-05:

Leon Russell and friends recorded the Homewood Sessions at the Vine Street Theatre in Hollywood, broadcast as an unscripted and unrehearsed one-hour TV special.

(play in 482p)




If you cannot get through the music consider this:


I grew up as a teenager in the last 8 or so years under apartheid in South Africa. A lot of foreign music was banned by the regime and 99% of foreign bands would not tour in South Africa (we viewed the few that did as apartheid supporters so would not attend those concerts). My friends and I regarded Def Leppard as our favourite band in the eighties and made a pact that one day we would go overseas as a group to one of their concerts (at that point it felt like apartheid would never end so we could not even envisage them coming to South Africa). They came to South Africa in 1996, two years after our first democratic elections and we were all there - I even had a kidney stone but would not miss it for anything. So as much as I love their music, that night for me was a key part of being in a country I could finally be proud of. So, apologies if this sounds political - its not intended to, music just creates so many different emotional connections for different people, which is just a joy.
 
@RyanKieser

Check out this triple treat set of posts started in this thread. I wish I had been there in 1987. I would have been 39 then.

https://www.fishforums.net/threads/this-weekends-musical-treat.496664/page-3#post-4369078

Paul Simon's 1987 African concert in Harare, Zimbabwe, was attended by an estimated 14,000 people. Many attendees had traveled from South Africa to witness the performance, which was part of Simon's "Graceland" tour, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.
 
Sorry I missed last weekend, but sometimes real life interferes with online stuff.

2 weeks ago we lost another near great, Dave Mason. I became a fan because he was one of the co-founders of Traffic one of my favorite bans from that era. But the really creative members of the band were Steve Winwood and Jim Capaldi. Dave was a bit spotty with his time with Traffic and then he had a solo career. I am somewhat fussy in what music I like and I never paid huge attention to Dave's solo career. But he did write some good stuff in that time as well.

David Thomas Mason (10 May 1946 – 19 April 2026) was an English singer-songwriter and guitarist, who came to prominence in 1967 as a founding member of the rock band Traffic.[3] He wrote and sang lead vocals on two of the band's most famous songs, "Hole in My Shoe" and "Feelin' Alright?"

But there were a few more of his songs I really liked, so without further ado, here are three of his Traffic songs and one of from his solo career.

(play in 720p)



(play in 720 or 1080p)



(play in 720p)


And from his solo career,

(play in 720p)



Here is Joe Cocker's version of Feelin Alright. It may actually be better than the original by Traffic.

(play in 720 or 1080p)
 
This weekend is as much a tribute to great Rock and Roll as anything. It will cover two posts to break up six songs. The first is a a tribute to the Allman Brothers. The music is insanely great, imo.

This stunning rendition was recorded on December 11, 2015, in Nashville, Tennessee, during a special episode of the online concert series Skyville Live. The evening served as a star-studded "Salute to Gregg Allman," with the legend himself in attendance. Filmed shortly after his historic sweep of the CMA Awards, this performance features Stapleton channeling the raw, blues-soaked power of the original while infusing it with his own signature gritty delivery and road-tested intensity.

This is from a list of a lot of songs that will autoplay. I would like folks to let the first 3 songs play one after the other. Then stop the vid and move on to the second post. I can tell you that there are a lot more really great songs that follow the first three and even one of the songs I am featuring in the next post is among the rest of the songs in the long list. Here is the comment under the song in YouTube:

Prepare to be blown away by this powerhouse collaboration from the Skyville Live concert series, filmed on December 11, 2015 in Nashville. Gregg Allman, blues legend Taj Mahal, country superstars Little Big Town, and soulful phenom Chris Stapleton come together to deliver a jaw-dropping rendition of “One Way Out”—a classic anthem with roots deep in Southern rock and blues history.

Originally recorded by blues artist Elmore James in the early 1960s, “One Way Out” gained iconic status when The Allman Brothers Band released their live version in 1972 on Eat a Peach. It became a staple of their legendary Fillmore East performances, showcasing Duane Allman and Dickey Betts trading fiery guitar licks and Gregg Allman’s gritty vocals. The song's narrative—about a man trying to avoid being caught by another woman’s jealous lover—is classic blues storytelling, layered with humor and tension.

This version brings together artists from across generations and genres to honor the song’s enduring legacy. Whether you're a longtime Allman Brothers fan or just discovering these artists for the first time, this unforgettable moment from Skyville Live will leave you wanting more.

(play in 720 or 1080p)
 
Last edited:
I have never been a fan of bands who cover other bands songs. Usually, the cover does not hold a candle to the original, But the exception that proves the rule for me is Joe Cocker. He was the master of covering other bands great songs. One great example of this was his Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour in 1970. In fact I featured the album from the Tour and movie made of it in this thread some time back.

In 2015 the Tedeschi Trucks Band and Leon Russell Present: Mad Dogs & Englishmen Revisited Live at LOCKN' It is amazing how close to the original they come in a number of the songs. A key feature in the the final show of the Mad Dogs tour at the Filmore Est in 16970 was truly amazing. One of the things that is unusualy is how many people were involved in the back -up vocals. Tedeshi Trucks and Leon really mailed that part in their cover. Here are three of the songs.

Tedeschi Trucks Band & Leon Russell - With A Little Help From My Friends​


(play in 720 or 1080p)



Tedeschi Trucks Band & Leon Russell – “The Letter” [Feat. Susan Tedeschi]​

(play in 720 or 1080p)



And for the final tune,

Tedeschi Trucks Band & Leon Russell – “Feelin' Alright” [Feat. Dave Mason, Anders Osborne]​

If you paid attention to my Dave Mason songs recently posted in this thread, you should remember that he wrote this song.

(play in 720 or 1080p)
 
Well, I feel caught up from after 2 weeks away. Good versions of old favs!!

But, ya know, it's Fri...what's next?
 
I am slow again but will get it posted tonight. I am about to dive into the 125 for weekly maint. Well not literally dive......

So, to make up for my tardiness I will offer you this 12 year old. She is amazing.



And so if you don't think she is a talented singer, try this:



Or maybe something more cntemporary?

 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top