From Wiki
John Weldon "
JJ"
Cale[1] (December 5, 1938 – July 26, 2013) was an American guitarist, singer, and songwriter. Though he avoided the limelight, his influence as a musical artist has been acknowledged by figures such as
Neil Young,
Mark Knopfler,
Waylon Jennings, and
Eric Clapton, who described him as one of the most important artists in rock history. He is one of the originators of the
Tulsa sound, a loose genre drawing on
blues,
rockabilly,
country, and
jazz. According to
AllMusic, he was known for his "
laconic delivery and
shuffling boogie rhythm," as well as for his "laid-back
rootsy style". He rarely diverted from this style throughout his career.
In 2008, Cale and Clapton received a
Grammy Award for their album
The Road to Escondido.
(play in 720p)
(play in 720p)
(play in 720p)
The 1976 album
Troubadour includes "
Cocaine," a song that would be a major hit for Clapton the following year. In the 2004 documentary
To Tulsa and Back, Cale recalled, "I wrote 'Cocaine', and I'm a big fan of
Mose Allison ... So I had written the song in a Mose Allison bag, kind of cocktail jazz kind of swing ... And Audie said, 'That's really a good song, John, but you oughta make that a little more rock and roll, a little more commercial.' I said, 'Great, man.' So I went back and recut it again as the thing you heard."
[ The song's meaning is ambiguous, although Clapton describes it as an anti-drug song. He has called the song "quite cleverly anti-cocaine",
(play in 720 or 1080p)
Clearly Eric was both a good friend as well playing both with JJ and recording heiss version of some of his songs. Both of these songs were written by JJ.
(play in 720 or 1080p)
One post is not enough, scroll down.