Thinking Of Going For Lake Malawi Cichilds

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Miller2009

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a new much larger tank than I currently have this this one

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/aqua-one/aqua-one-aquience-aquariums/aqua-one-aquarium-and-cabinet-aquience-1800r-oak.html

A couple of questions

1:
Is the filter going to be good enough? As I know you generally overstock to try keep aggression down

2:
A tank this size where would you get good sized rocks from that will make the ph stable from the fish

3:
Third and final question how many fish would it hold as I wouldn't have a clue how many and if all malawi fish are compat with each other

Cheers peeps

Paul

The filter should be fine, that's enough turnover, if you start getting dirty water or bad parameters, then rethink filtration. A lot of people will use crushed coral as a substrate to boost ph, or there are products that will boost ph as well. As far as stocking, 30-40 fish in a tank that size. Keeps aggression down as well as makes a nice looking tank. Pretty much all mbuna are fine with one another, there are so many to chose from, are you looking to order online or can you get fish from you lfs?

1) Yes overstocking is the best thing to do. As for filtration I am not sure what that filter is from it's description but The best way to filter a Cichlid tank thats overstocked is to make sure it (be it one or 2 filters) turns over the entire water volume 10x per hr. From what I am guessing that filter means..you might want to add a canister to make up the difference to get it to 10x per hr

2) I don't know since I'm in the US. Also a question is what is your current KH and PH coming from your tap. You want it stable.. but stable at ideal ranges. (BTW.. Make sure you toss the gravel that tank comes with and use sand.

3) at that tank size it's up to you with are they all "compatible" with each other. They best thing to do Is choose either Mbunas , Haps, or peacocks.. Or Haps & peacocks . Their diets are very different and keeping Mbunas with Haps means spot feeding your haps with meaty foods and your Mbunas with a herbivore diet. Now again with your tank size I think you could mix a little bit. Like choose the main type you want to keep (get them young and around the same size and about 4 females per male) then you can get a few of another type...but be prepared to spot feed. 

as for numbers.. Thats hard to say. Just use your best judgement and good luck! They are fantastic fish! My African(Malawi mostly Mbuna) tank is by FAAARR may fav!

Awilcox said:
. As far as stocking, 30-40 fish in a tank that size. Keeps aggression down as well as makes a nice looking tank. Pretty much all mbuna are fine with one another, there are so many to chose from, are you looking to order online or can you get fish from you lfs?
with a tank that size if you are suggesting Mbuna(Not as large as Malawi Haps) 30-40 is not really overstocked  600l is 158g. My 72g is holding about 15 Mbuna and 2 haps  and I will get another few Mbuna..  Thats an example of overstocking. 

Might have a look at both and see what works out the cheapest. 30-40 fish doesn't seem a lot for a tank this size?

You have to take in to consideration their growth, personal tank space, swimming space and occupied space from ALOT of rock,
Speaking of rock I just filled my 250L with rocks I got off the beach (totally freeeeee!!) washed them twice, rinsed them and scrubbed and popped em in!

Or if your looking to buy and rock it decently you want to fill as much as possible with rock, go to a local garden centre and pick slate and spend as much as you can, even in bits if you need to but start with as much as you can spare :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back