The Journey To Black Lake....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

greenmumma141

Fish Herder
Reaction score
 I decided to finally set up my old 10 gallon for a heavy planted/shrimp/fry/and maybe eventually betta? tank.  

Well, here we go
smile.png
 Please excuse the traffic cones and toy rockets in the background, my son just had his 4th bday party and we're still in post party shock lol.... and if you followed my other journal, you might notice the new floors muahahaha...

Yeesh... I forgot how rough this thing was.
DSCN5342_zps3cf6b3cf.jpg

Oh boy..
DSCN5344_zpsd36acfda.jpg

Keeps getting better... both latches are missing lol.
DSCN5345_zpsd497d02d.jpg
[/URL]

Onward!!!

0o0o0o0o black sand
yahoo.gif

I will never, never, never, ever wash playsand again. Once rinse each bucketful and that was it. (petco black sand) 

That's it for now. The heater should be arriving tomorrow, so that's when I'll fill the tank, transfer some media from my main tank in an old filter (aquaclear 50, really big for this tank i know), and toss some plants from the big tank in too.

Oh, and i made a shrimp purchase today as well
shifty.gif

Thanks Shelster :)

I know some bettas are alright with shrimp but what about cory fry/eggs?

Hmm, I would imagine not :(

I want to see you with a betta though :(

X

what a bummer :(     ...maybe when I am tired of raising fry, I'll turn this into a betta tank....

I was thinking about putting my 3 venezuelan black cories in there to try and get them to spawn, but after researching a little bit, mine appear to be nowhere near mature age!!!! Mine are teeny tiny, and I just thought they didn't get that big. But I'm seeing they reach 3"?! Now I'm thinking mine are stunted or something. I've had them since January and they are still maybe an inch, if that. The pandas I got months after were smaller and now much larger....  now what!!?

WELL. It's planted. For the first try, I thought I would just use scrap plants from my main tank. That just looked like a tank full of scraps.  So after a quick trip to petco (i was surprised with the selection they had) it looks better.  Black lake? No... more like welcome to the Shire.  Good news is I like the plants, so after the roots grow out a bit I can move them to the big tank and try something else.

Hehe, it's pretty silly looking.  I did get two new bulbs. One zoo med one and a regular tank bulb. You can see the difference in the light on each side of the tank. I'm going to bring the regular bulb back and get another zoo med. 

My angels spawned again so I snipped one of the leaves and moved it to the little tank. Also put on of my cherry shrimp in there too. I'll get pics of that later tonight :)

As usual, any input and suggestions are very much appreciated. 

I really like the look of this tank GreenMumma!  :)  I think you have done a nice job so far.  Someday I'll venture into the planted side.  Looking forward to updates.

Thanks DyArianna!! I'm not too happy with it, but I think I know how to fix it lol...

I need to find the perfect piece of hardscape... and the hunt begins :ninja:

The shrimp are here, the shrimp are here!!!!! after acclimating for a good 50 minutes, they've been released and are already coloring up :yahoo: They're pretty good size too, I was expecting a bit smaller and all 12 are alive and kickin and they're...... pearly blues!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Kinda wish I had it scaped the way I want it before the shrimp were in, but that's okay... I hope lol.

Bag o Shrimp :)

A little blurry but you can see that they're coloring up already after only 5 minutes out of the bag...

uploading a short video too :)

Here's the video.  I didn't add a song this time, so please excuse the crazy going on in the background :rolleyes:  

You will also see what was left of my latest angel spawn. I put the eggs in before the shrimp arrived, and most of them went bad. I have about 4-5 wigglers left. Hopefully next spawn will be better once the shrimp have settled in. Then they can earn their keep ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlCbBEcYt0[/media]

I really like it as it is! What kind of shrimp are the blue ones? They are beautiful

stanleo said:
I really like it as it is! What kind of shrimp are the blue ones? They are beautiful

Thanks!! I like it too, but I want it much more striking......   

They're Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis, so same as cherries, just bred a dif color :) I can' wait til they grow a bit more and really get some good color going :hey:

Looks really nice! Your idea of a 'tank of plant scraps' is pretty much my idea of a perfect planted tank :p haha nice shrimp too !

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back