The Guide To Black Ghost Knife Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
the guide to black ghost knife fish
black ghost knife fish are very interesting fish that make a interesting addition to an aquarium. they are known for their graceful swimming and the flowing curtain like fin. with small beady eyes and amazing features they are amazing fish to keep.

the right tank
black ghost knife fish need a big tank. when they are small, they are able to live in a 40 or 50 gallon setup, with the appropriate tankmates, but as they get bigger, they will need an aquarium ATLEAST 80 gallons +.
the tank should have a good length and width so your knife fish can move around freely.

size
black ghost knife fish are the second largest species of knife fish, after the clown knife fish (featherback).
they get a maximum size of 20", so therefor you need a large aquaruim.

diet
black ghost knife fish are carnavores, which in their case they eat other smaller fish and small worms like tubifex worms, black worms, brine shrimp and especially bloodworms. they will eat live food as also frozen food.
black ghost knife fish use their electric sensors to locate their food. do not keep black ghost knife fish or any other big predatory fish with anything smaller that three inches, or they will be eaten.

tankmates
as said above, do not keep black ghost knife fish with any fish smaller that 3 inches. as the black ghost knife fish gets bigger, the smaller fish will become an easy meal. Black Ghost Knife Fish have have electric sensors that allow them to send out electric pulses to navigate through water. Aquarists should avoid placing other fish species that use similar electric navigation and Black Ghost Knifes together because their electrical pulses will interfere with each other confusing themselves in the aquarium. black ghost knife fish are actually quite peaceful with other tropical fish in the aquarium. they are aggressive with their own species when they are bigger, but when they are small they prefer small groups.

water perimeters
the pH for black ghost knife fish range from around 6.0 to 8.0. they thrive in tempratures from 76ºF to 82ºF. black ghost knife fish aren't hardy so you should keep your ammonia and nitrites reading 0 ppm. keep the nitrate level low.

Characteristics
when introducing your black ghost into your aquarium, it will first check out the aquarium and start hiding. after the knife fish is accoustomed to its tank, it can develope strong relationships with its owner. black ghost knife fish are easily trained to be handfed, preferably using bloodworms. they will even sometimes play.

medicine
black ghost knife fish are scaless fish, which means they are more sensitive and will react differently to medications. its is best to put medications at half dose as not to sicken the knife fish.

carolovel01 recommended me to write a article on black ghost knife fish. thanks! guess what? no copy and paste! im very proud of my hard work!

Still isn't 100% your own work though I'm afraid, granted much of it is only paraphrased, a few sentences are copied exactly from another site.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this! You answered my questions without me having to even post them :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back