The build up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AKfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, well probably jumping the gun a little here. But in the next 2-3 months I will be starting my breeding tank builds. My goals in no particular order. Build efficient breeder friendly tanks for shrimp and plecos. Dispell some myths about fishkeeping, breeding, filtration and so on. Not by just saying it but also creating living examples. Not sure I'll be able to do everything I want we will see. But would like to attempt my first filter less, airless, heater less tank. I have a lot of big ideas and time as a work from home dad. Won't have the expendable funds to get too much done for another month or two. But then will begin the build. I'm going to be building at least 5 - 4'×3'×1' tanks in a corner of my living room. I'm working on the stand design still. Really just researching if I can affectively move each tank up and down. May be hard to explain. But I would like to be able to to move each tank up and down independently. Allowing me to move all tanks up then pulling only the bottom tank down allowing maximum work area to access tank. Then when maintenance was finished on one tank I pull the next down giving the same amount of work space for each tank. The tanks will hold 90gal but only be filled to about 75-85 gal. It's a lot of weight to move like that without risk of all tanks falling and crashing. So may be a dream that is never actualized. I look forward to this forum and being able to incorporate suggestions or ideas from you all. I may also video doc it for YouTube. Anyway will post pics of space the tanks will go. Could pics of current fish maybe. Something to fill time before I can get building. I was actually working on a 79 gal tank a couple months back. Cut my fingers all to heck on the table saw. Hit the bone and fractured my thumb but kept all my fingers. I'm just now able to start using my thumb again. Just figured I would add to why I'm waiting on starting the building. Need my fingers working properly lol.

This is the space where the tanks will be going.

Attachments

• IMG_20190710_130537_12CS.jpg
    IMG_20190710_130537_12CS.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 132
My thumb as of today lol.

Attachments

• 15628240007084158480861919684034.jpg
    15628240007084158480861919684034.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 147
So you want to build glass aquariums that are 4 foot long x 3 foot wide x 1 foot high and have them all on one stand that allows each tank to be raised and lowered independently of the others?
If that is correct, that's insane, I will call you Doctor Tank and send Spiderman after you. :)

You don't move glass aquariums with water in because they crack.
Big tanks that are more than 18 inches wide will be made of 10-20mm thick glass and that weighs heaps. The tanks you plan on getting will probably have a 15mm thick base.
Tanks that are wider than 2 foot are very hard to work on unless you have access to both sides.

If you make ponds out of fibreglass or plastic, they would be a lot lighter and cheaper to buy, and a better option.

A better option would be ponds/ tanks about 4 foot long x 18-24 inches wide x 18 inches high. Have them on a double or triple tier stand so you have 10-12 inches of work space above the tanks. You will be able to work in them and they won't weigh heaps.

I would not even try to make stands that can raise and lower the tank. That is just asking for trouble.

You could investigate permaculture for more info on running fish tanks/ ponds without filters.

Sorry for confusion. No I'm building plywood tanks. They will have a glass window but only a window. All other three sides will be plywood. And yes it's very unconventional to move full tanks. But I'm all about the unconventional as i stated lol. But I'm not crazy and if t won't be doable without risking complete failure I won't attempt. But with a pulley system to creat drag that equals the weight of the tank that rides through the uprights of the stand on a track is in theory very doable. The key is you would not be moving a tank. You would be moving the shelf the tank sits on. At worst case you move it uneven and the water sloshes to one side. Assuming it's working properly. But I do think it's very doable. But worth the effort is another question. Also tank glass thickness is determined by how tall a tank is not gallons at all. My tanks will have the same thickness as a ten gallon aquarium and be more then strong enough.

I would use plastic or fibreglass ponds on a wooden shelf. They will weigh less than wooden tanks and you could cut a section out and put in clear Perspex or glass panels to view the fish.

I would look into metal stands to take the weight. A wood stand could take the weight but the legs and frame work would have to be made from thicker materials and subsequently take up more space then metal.

Last edited:
Appreciate the advice. I work with wood as a living so I'm familiar with it and that's one reason I chose plywood tanks. But I have thought about a metal frame before. I'm not as good at working with metal like I am wood lol. But obviously like you said the added strength in a smaller space is appealing. Definitely going to consider that and see how the pulley system might work. If each shelf could be locked like a hydrologic lift for cars at the mechanic. That would add some level of security. This is why I posted it on here early. Figured you guys would have some useful advise that may sway my thinking. I have done countless hrs of research on it. From building plywood tanks to everything lol. I like the idea of building tank dimensions that aren't available aside from custom built. Part of the reason for building them instead of buying. Probably would spend less collecting used tanks on Craigslist. Something about taking something out of your head and actualizing it that money can't buy. Also I want to try building removable tank dividers and a few other things. Thanks again for the input.

Work on the lifting mechanism first (make a miniature version/ scale model) and when you have figured that bit out, the tank is easy :)

Iron frame for the stand. Super heavy duty rollers and a big overhead hoist. Better check the rafters in your house. Scour the Internet for how they loaded and unloaded PT boats for shipping in WW2. That might be an idea. Colin mentioned Spiderman but I think you might need Ben Grimm's help.

Hahaha. Figured out the water weight with 5 tanks to be about 3300lbs. The floor it will be on is concrete. So the stand and lift system will definitely be the weak point. Definitely going to look at the boat loading system now. If I have a 5 pulley system on either end. The force need to move one tank would be about 80lbs.

Love to push the limits of what's possible. Catching a bit of push back for my "radical" beliefs on water changes already lol. Love to challenge the norm within reason. And have seen some stuff from credible sources about tanks going months without water changes. Obviously the chemistry must be right and the planning done. But most of what has been pushed out there as common knowledge comes from a consumer industry. So filters, heaters, air pumps, I mean come one they have people believing you have to buy fancy rocks and wood lmmfao. Most don't realize any hardwood that's pesticide and hopefully fertilizer free. Is perfectly acceptable to be in your tank. Need substrate? Go get some. I mean some of these fish are literally collected from water that villages up stream use as a toilet. And we're supposed to believe we need everything absolutely prestine all the time or they suffer lol. Sorry got off on a little tangent. Just nothing quite as frustrating as a close mind.

Well was talking with a friend more familiar with metal. Looks like I'll probably go with steel. Probably going to end up having it made. Don't trust myself welding something that needs to hold a car lol. Anyway here is a rough sketch of what him and I kind of came up with. Shelves will basically just lock into each leg. Going to have a locking mechanism like a car lift. I want the shelves to be lockable every 4". I'm in earthquake country he reminded me. So at the bottom of all the legs will be a plate bolted to another plate with a high density spring kind of like a truck suspension. Then the spring will be bolted down into the concrete foundation. Allowing the entire stand to sway like a high-rise building during an earthquake. Just have to give some clearance between the tanks and walls. Anyway it's going to be crazy. No idea the actual cost. Going to have to get some estimates. Anyway wish it was 100% DIY. But looks like an outsourcing is going to be the course of action lol.

Attachments

• 15629011184237028271019601182782.jpg
    15629011184237028271019601182782.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Man landed on the moon. With money and imagination anything is possible.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back