The Best Water Changing Device

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If you need to for reasons of ease and available then use a python water changer. But know that the phyton water changing system wastes a lot of water. Any water hose will work for re-filling an aquarium, but to empty the aquarium and clean the substrate then that is why most people use a python. But for a python to work properly and drain faster a person must have it connected to a water source and use the suction of the water source to pull the water through the python while emptying the aquarium. A person can jump-start the python system for draining to get it started then turn off the water source, but this has mixed results. Either the python will drain the tank very slow, or not work at all. I have had only a few times where it drained fast after turning off the water source, but I found that to be a rare occurrence. Most of the time the python slowed down taking a long time to finish draining the aquarium or stoped draining.

So I stopped using python and created my own water-changing system. I have two of these cheap submersible pumps that work great, but if using a sand substrate set the pump on a plate. I drain the aquarium to the desired amount using the pump, then use a water hose to refill the aquarium. Done and easy.
Submersible Water Pump
If you can use a phyton water faucet thread connector on your kitchen sink that is all you need and not the entire phyton water change system. Then use any garden hose connected up to your kitchen faucet.
Phyton Brass Adapter
To clean the substrate I use buckets and a gravel siphon

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Even with a pump I only use it as a jump start. As long as the hose outlet is lower than the inlet in the tank gravity takes care of it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@SHERRIFFP As you are in the UK, I need to ask - do you have a combi boiler or a hot water tank in the airing cupboard? If it's a combi, you can use a mix of hot and cold tap water to refill, but if you have a hot water tank you should not use hot tap water. In this case, filling with a hose is impractical unless you can keep the tank heater submerged the whole time and trickle cold water in slowly so the tank heater can keep up with heating it. I know that people with external filters with inline heaters can leave both running throughout the water change if the tube taking water towards the filter doesn't get exposed.

I find the standard siphon method works the best. You can get a Python with a siphon squeeze to start the siphon. If you use the venturi adapter that you put on the faucet you will not get good water flow because the outflow end is too high (if using it without running the tap). The siphon's pull comes from the height difference between the top of the tank and the outlet height. In my case I use a cheap siphon with a squeeze pump start that feeds into a bucket on my patio that has is own drain into the rain gutter drain for the house. The height difference is from the top of my tank to the floor level and the suction is quite good. I tried running the hose down directly into my rain gutter drain but it produced too much suction, the tanks are one floor up.

@Essjay, why do you say not to use water from the hot water tank?

Right I'll order one of amazon with the extention so I can put the water out side or in the sink there roughly about 50 £ arnt they

The water will only go into the sink… does your faucet have threads on the output

It comes with an adapter if your faucet has internal threads. You may have to screw off the strainer onyour faucet

Most reactions

trending

Back