The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505_065748_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505_065748_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 48
It’s about half that price in the states. I think the brass adapter comes with the python water changer.

@Essjay, why do you say not to use water from the hot water tank?
The way hot water is made in the UK differs from the USA and probably Canada. SlapHppy7 and I had a discussion about it in another thread.
In the UK, central heating boilers also provide hot water. Newly built properties typically use combi boilers where hot water is made on demand by heating water directly from the water mains. Hot water from combi boilers is safe to drink, and to use in fish tanks. Older properties and new ones with "heat only boilers" store hot water in a tank. The boiler circulates hot water through a coil inside the tank which heats the tank water. When hot water is used, it has to be replaced and in the majority of cases, the replacement water comes from a cold water storage tank in the attic. It's this header tank which is why hot water from this type of system should not be used for drinking, or cooking, or in fish tanks. Some houses have been built where the cold tap water in upstairs bathrooms also comes from this header tank, and you are not even supposed to clean your teeth in this water!

The python is a great bit of kit for large tanks.the fact you can gauge the water temperature before filling the tank is good and also that the gunge goes straight down the sink.
They are expensive,but you get what you pay for.

The python is a great bit of kit for large tanks.the fact you can gauge the water temperature before filling the tank is good and also that the gunge goes straight down the sink.
They are expensive,but you get what you pay for.
Not sure why they are so much more expensive overseas than they are here, but agree, well worth the price, and they last a very long time....the brass adapter does come with the kit the OP ordered above, but no harm in having a spare, in case one gets misplaced....for my 29G, I have to drain the water into a bath tub (hose won't reach outdoors), but for the rest of my tanks, I water the lawn, potted plants, and my flowerbed...old tank water is full of nutrients that terrestrial plants can use.

I've bought a python it came yesterday but only ordered the syphon for now. Will do a 25 % water change today I will use buckets to fill it etc

I'm assuming then when you use these contraptions to fill the tank, you put your dechlorinater into the existing tank water before adding fresh? That may be a stupid question because I've always added Prime to the fresh water before adding it to the tank

I could really do with one of these, I'm about to purchase 240 l and my back is not going to manage hoiking buckets up and down ladders and across the house and back 12x... I have a little jug that I use to take water from the bucket to the tank because I can't lift it ?

I do add prime. Not used it yet there an extention that you can get with the python and some form of kitchen tap adapter I think??

I'm assuming then when you use these contraptions to fill the tank, you put your dechlorinater into the existing tank water before adding fresh? That may be a stupid question because I've always added Prime to the fresh water before adding it to the tank
I'm also interested to know when do i add the water conditioner - before, after, during?

I made my own water changers.

Just connect my siphon to a long hose for removing the tank water.
For refilling of water, i use either a pail (for small tank) or a separate clean hose which I connect it to my tap for my bigger tank.

By using two different hoses, I can ensure that I don't reinfect my tank with the parasites or bacteria that I had siphoned out.

Yes, you are right.
Add the dechlorinator first before adding the freshwater.
You will have to add dechlorinator according to your tank total volume and not the volume of the freshwater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back