Test results...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Brendanpat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
High just got my new master test kit ,was using the strips until now . Can anyone advise on the results please ?

Attachments

• 20201002_210252.jpg
    20201002_210252.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 108
Ammonia - good, it's zero
Nitrite should also be zero, with 0.25 ppm you need to be thinking about a water change
Nitrate is nice and low, well below 20 ppm. test your tap water to see how much of that 5 ppm is from there.
pH 8.0 - there is no 'good' level for pH. Both pH and GH are what come out of the tap, and we should aim to keep fish which come from water similar to our tap water.

High just got my new master test kit ,was using the strips until now . Can anyone advise on the results please ?
How long has the tank been set up for? What fish are in it? What size tank?

Without any further information, I'd say that this is a new tank around 2 or 2 weeks old that is almost cycled.

Ammonia and nitrite should be zero. Nitrate will build up and should be kept under 20 by regular weekly maintenance.

How long has the tank been set up for? What fish are in it? What size tank?

Without any further information, I'd say that this is a new tank around 2 or 2 weeks old that is almost cycled.

Ammonia and nitrite should be zero. Nitrate will build up and should be kept under 20 by regular weekly maintenance.
Hi . No I got my first 54 litre tank in march . Its was cyled . I then changed about 5 weeks ago to my now 105 litre /28 gallon . I transferred filter media and fish and ornaments. But I'm not sure if this tank is cyled properly yet . I lost about 5 cory and 6 neon tetra last week . I thought it mite of been ammonia or something from new neons I got . I currently have 3 cory 3 neon 2 guppies 1 swordtail 1 endler and about 20 something 5 day old guppy fry .I've been doing daily water changes all week

NO2 is nitrite.
NO3 is nitrate.

Keep ammonia and nitrite levels on 0ppm at all times.
Try to keep nitrate levels as close to 0ppm and under 20ppm at all times.

The easiest way to reduce ammonia, nitrite or nitrate is to do a big (75%) water change every day until the levels are back to 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

What fish do you recommend for ph 8. I always thought that we should aim for acid tanks so that the ammonia in the tank will turn to ammonium.

What fish do you recommend for ph 8. I always thought that we should aim for acid tanks so that the ammonia in the tank will turn to ammonium.
Go too acidic and bacteria cease nitrifying ammonia/ammonium.
Yet as pH reaches 8 bacteria are more efficent at nitrifying ammonia/ammonium, it's all swings and roundabouts.
Our tests usually indicate total ammonia/ammonium rather that just ammonia.

Go too acidic and bacteria cease nitrifying ammonia/ammonium.
Yet as pH reaches 8 bacteria are more efficent at nitrifying ammonia/ammonium, it's all swings and roundabouts.
Our tests usually indicate total ammonia/ammonium rather that just ammonia.
What do you think is to acid

I've read around 6pH is low enough to cease bacterial nitrificatiom, but I think plants still use ammonia/ammonium.
Temperature also effects the ratio, with warmer water having more ammonia at a certain pH than cold.
In the aquatic world I think of 6.5 as acidic

Reactions: kwi
@itiwhetu My tanks are 8-8.2. but I select fish that are ok in it close to that ph.

@Brendanpat I do think that you'd an ammonia spike when you experienced those deaths. And you're now at zero but with some nitrite - this is how the bacteria cycle goes. Do a big water change and you should get that Nitrite to zero. The water changes are good for your fry too. Then test every day or every 2 days until you see consistency in results.

Always change water if ammonia and/or Nitrite are above 0 and/or Nitrate above 20ppm. 75% water changes is what I do.

I'm now in a stable place that my tank is tested once a week & water changed (even if all levels are good). Weekly water changes do good for the tank. If I spot my fish changing behaviour I will immediately test water again.

_@ailyNC so what fish do you keep mainly. I assume livebearers, but tetras are off the list

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back