Test strips vs liquid kits ?

OMG_FL1

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 18, 2023
Messages
137
Reaction score
203
Points
43
Location
Sri lanka
I've seen some people say that test strips are wildly inaccurate than liquid kits but some disagree with that
(I'm mainly talking about ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph)
Personally I've never used any liquid test kits purely because they cost about 15× the price of test strips
Tho I haven't faced any issues with them I'm curious to know what's the truth
Anyone with experience with using both what's your take ??
 
Last edited:
I have used both and have had no problems at all with the strips. I found them as accurate, quicker and easier. Just ensure that you test for ammonia in new tanks, as many strips don't measure this.
 
The main issue with strips is they can give false readings if allowed to get damp. They should be stored in a container which keeps them totally dry.
Liquid testers do go off, they should be replaced once past the use by date and possibly earlier if it's while since the bottles were opened.
 
Think about how accurate you need it and how often you need to test. IMHO for tropical fish:
  • pH - is my water acidic, neutral or basic? Unless I have some funky substrate or stones its not going to change over time as long as I do regular substantial water changes.
  • GH / KH - is my water hard, neutral or soft. Typically you only need to test this once if you are using the same water source and do water changes. (May be seaonal variation)
  • Nitrite. This is a simple yes/no question. Strips can handle this.
  • Nitrate. I can have some, none or a lot. Since I have plenty of plants and do water changes my week always starts at 0. Its worth testing your tap water as this can contain nitrates.
I have used both and strips are easier and IMHO good enough. I have 3 mature tanks and no longer feel the need to test. If I think something is off my first response is a 90% water change.

FWIW if you cut the test strips in half lengthways you have twice as many test strips - but bear in mind what @Essjay said about moisture.
 
Here's where the places we live and buy things in matter. Test strips are extremely expensive where I am, where test by test, reagent kits aren't.

Accuracy? When I tested well taken care of test strips versus reagent kits, they gave the same results for hardness and pH - what mattered to me. I don't use either in everyday life, but when I've gone out fish collecting on my own, test strips were a worthwhile buy.

I think that in North America, API marketed its reagent kits very well. They are good for what they do. If you store strips correctly and can afford them, they also do what they are supposed to do. For me, if I ever wanted to test my many tanks, I could go through test strips too quickly, and wouldn't be able to afford fish. But if strips were 15 times cheaper than reagents here, guess what I'd use (and take a little extra care of).
 
Just fyi - don't test ph - test kh and gh. While there are some cases where ph can be useful it is generally a bad value.
 
I bought one of those fancy API Master Kits in 2019 for the one and only reason that everybody was on this water parameter craze . I thought I should be on that bandwagon too . I used it to check pH and the pH here was the same as it ever was . I want my thirty dollars back .
 
I have used both through the years and found the liquid tests to be more accurate. Some of my test strip ranges were simply too broad/not specific enough. And storage of strips is critical regarding any moisture. This is also an area that is a matter of personal preference. I will also say that shaking Bottle #2 of the nitrate test is a royal pain, but must be done for accuracy sake.
So………. What do I use? Liquid tests get the nod. Interestingly, even with my being a retired biology teacher (working with lab stuff for years), I find myself focusing on testing primarily for GH, KH, and NO3. Testing for other factors is done only when needed.
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top