Tank Suggestions?

Betta splendens

New Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kaiserslautern, Germany
So my friend's mom wants me to set up a 10gal tank for her. She doesn't want just a shoal of tetras, despite how nice they can be, so what's a good suggestion in basic easy to manage social fish in a 10gal? I will be putting live plants in.

Thanks!
 
So my friend's mom wants me to set up a 10gal tank for her. She doesn't want just a shoal of tetras, despite how nice they can be, so what's a good suggestion in basic easy to manage social fish in a 10gal? I will be putting live plants in.

Thanks!

How about platies or guppies?
 
rosey's cheap and hardy very easy to keep lively and will breed and if they all die can try again without alot of money spent on fish then when she is more comfortable with maintaining fish try something else
 
First off I would suggest you go to the 'New To Hobby' Section, then at the top of that page is a link called 'Beginners Resource Centre'.
The beginners resources section is a really really great place to learn all sorts about keeping fish. But particularly for you it'd be good to teach you all about cycling a tank.
Cycling a tank, put simply, is the process of making it safe for the fish.
Some pet and fish shops suggest leaving the tank with the filter running for a week and this makes it safe for fish - This is untrue
Some pet and fish shops will also try and sell you 'bottled bacteria products' to make your water safe for fish or to help 'cycle' the tank - These generally speaking don't work at all and so are a waste of money.

Once you've read about cycling in the beginners section I hope you decide on a fishless cycle! :)

As for fish, Here are some ideas
2 x Honey Gouramis
6 x Pygmy Cories

Or

2 x Honey Gouramis
4/5 x Ember Tetra
1 x Pitbull Plec

Or

2 x Honey Gouramis
4 x Micro Rasbora
4 x Pygmy Cory

Or

2 x Honey Gourami
5 x Norman's Lampeye or 5 x Boraras brigittae
 
If u decided to go with a livebearer makes sure that you only get the one sex. You could quickly get over run with babies!

I like the look of option C above : -

2 x Honey Gouramis
4 x Micro Rasbora
4 x Pygmy Cory

Possibly even drop the Gourami and add a couple of extra of the other.
 
If u decided to go with a livebearer makes sure that you only get the one sex. You could quickly get over run with babies!

I like the look of option C above : -

2 x Honey Gouramis
4 x Micro Rasbora
4 x Pygmy Cory

Possibly even drop the Gourami and add a couple of extra of the other.

That is what I would do. I personally would get a school of neon tetras, and a pair of apistogramma. But apistogramma aren't really beginner fish.
 
If u decided to go with a livebearer makes sure that you only get the one sex. You could quickly get over run with babies!

I like the look of option C above : -

2 x Honey Gouramis
4 x Micro Rasbora
4 x Pygmy Cory

Possibly even drop the Gourami and add a couple of extra of the other.

That is what I would do. I personally would get a school of neon tetras, and a pair of apistogramma. But apistogramma aren't really beginner fish.
10 gallons is a bit small for neons...it would need to be a long tank...ie 60cm
 
If u decided to go with a livebearer makes sure that you only get the one sex. You could quickly get over run with babies!

I like the look of option C above : -

2 x Honey Gouramis
4 x Micro Rasbora
4 x Pygmy Cory

Possibly even drop the Gourami and add a couple of extra of the other.

That is what I would do. I personally would get a school of neon tetras, and a pair of apistogramma. But apistogramma aren't really beginner fish.
10 gallons is a bit small for neons...it would need to be a long tank...ie 60cm

I keep my neons in a 10 gallon, I was told that they would be fine. Then instead of neons how about some Rasabiras, like Micro Rasaboras, you could use them as a dither fish.
 
if you can get hold of some galaxy rasbora are great colourful fish but can be on the pricey side
or another possibility is endlers also very colourful
 

Most reactions

Back
Top