Take Over The Newsletter.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Im sorry I havent been a member here for longer so I could have seen some of the old newsletters some of you guys are so quick to down..

Newsletters? Oh no. Newsletter. Here.

It was such a storming success that after the first issue nothing further appeared.

Keith is a young fella 14-15 if im right and has a desire to be creative and contribute to this site and as such would do a lot better with his glass half full rather than half enpty.

With some of the remarks made about this thread it amazes me this site is so popular and has as many members as it does, talk about negativity.

Or perhaps talk about experience from those that have seen it and can see some of the problems which occured before.

What is it all you negative guys excpect from a newsletter? Do you think its going to be life changing and when you read it you will have the knowlege to the secrets of life or that once you read it you will be a superior fishkeeper knowing all? A newsletter is simply a way of highlighting certain points over a given time and is generally emailed so that people who dont visit the site that often are encouraged back in one way or another. Or get a quick recap without trolling through all the old threads and posts.

I would like a newsletter that does have at least one new thing that I didn't already know. If I want to re-read an old thread I use the search function to find it.

After reading this thread for a while I suspect no matter what gets published there is a group that will just rubbish anything that gets done and find this very sad, inseatd of encouraging this young enthusiastic fishlkeeper who is willing to give his time for free and who clearly has a passion some seem like they are sitting waiting to heckle.

Actually, last time those who didn't like it just didn't come out in support of it. If someone in chat mentioned it and asked my view I told them, but other than that I just left it do die the quiet death it did.

Seems its already been decided by some that what ever get published is going to be boring or unintersting so makes me wonder why these people are even members here or why they themselves dont offer contribition to avert this boring publication.

I can fully understand that most of the things I could write about would not interest many people. All I will probably do is peruse the newsletter and perhaps enjoy the mutual backslapping that will occur when it is released. If the newsletter genuinely is good, then I will be happily surprised.

As to why I am a member here; I am a member here because it is where I started my learning process in fish that has now led to me liking the sorts of fish very few people on here keep. However, I am aware of some very experienced and clever fishkeepers on here and as such I like to look in from time to time.

I didn't realise that to be a member here I needed to approve of the newsletter.

Im sorry I havent been a member here for longer so I could have seen some of the old newsletters some of you guys are so quick to down..

Newsletters? Oh no. Newsletter. Here.

It was such a storming success that after the first issue nothing further appeared.

Keith is a young fella 14-15 if im right and has a desire to be creative and contribute to this site and as such would do a lot better with his glass half full rather than half enpty.

With some of the remarks made about this thread it amazes me this site is so popular and has as many members as it does, talk about negativity.

Or perhaps talk about experience from those that have seen it and can see some of the problems which occured before.

What is it all you negative guys excpect from a newsletter? Do you think its going to be life changing and when you read it you will have the knowlege to the secrets of life or that once you read it you will be a superior fishkeeper knowing all? A newsletter is simply a way of highlighting certain points over a given time and is generally emailed so that people who dont visit the site that often are encouraged back in one way or another. Or get a quick recap without trolling through all the old threads and posts.

I would like a newsletter that does have at least one new thing that I didn't already know. If I want to re-read an old thread I use the search function to find it.

After reading this thread for a while I suspect no matter what gets published there is a group that will just rubbish anything that gets done and find this very sad, inseatd of encouraging this young enthusiastic fishlkeeper who is willing to give his time for free and who clearly has a passion some seem like they are sitting waiting to heckle.

Actually, last time those who didn't like it just didn't come out in support of it. If someone in chat mentioned it and asked my view I told them, but other than that I just left it do die the quiet death it did.

Seems its already been decided by some that what ever get published is going to be boring or unintersting so makes me wonder why these people are even members here or why they themselves dont offer contribition to avert this boring publication.

I can fully understand that most of the things I could write about would not interest many people. All I will probably do is peruse the newsletter and perhaps enjoy the mutual backslapping that will occur when it is released. If the newsletter genuinely is good, then I will be happily surprised.

As to why I am a member here; I am a member here because it is where I started my learning process in fish that has now led to me liking the sorts of fish very few people on here keep. However, I am aware of some very experienced and clever fishkeepers on here and as such I like to look in from time to time.

I didn't realise that to be a member here I needed to approve of the newsletter.

No one says you have to approve or dissaprove, my post was not directed at you or anyone but at the negativity and instead of just posting of how poor the last one was why not post suggestions of how to make it work or offer content the more the merrier id have thought...

After all its just for fun aint it?

I'd be happier to read from an edited informative newsletter full of factual / amusing / pictorial atricles where the content has neen thought through and good points highlighted instead of reading through what starts to be an interesting posts then gets taken over by testosteron fuled personal attacks and slaggings half way through and becomes a complete joke..

Hehe, nice post tag :D

So, if people can start writing stories and PM them to me, that'd be fantastic.

we need to sort out article length rules. so we need to have the number of words, roughly. if we don't, editing my loose the gist of the article. also do you want the writer to format and set fonts, or should that be the job of the editor? leaving us all to do our own thing, could lead to a very messy looking newsletter. i feel we need to sort out a font/fonts, and sizes as well as line spacing and other such things, before we start.

Due to TFF rules links are not allowed in the above respect.

As Andy so rightly pointed out above most of the articles were already available to view on the board already
I propose if you do get permission (pending mods decision) that you request new, fresh and unpublished articles only. If you do this then you might get a more favourable response.
It needs to be new and it needs to be fresh. Also I would call into question the longevity of the interested parties. Its OK for the outset of anything but speaking from experience (international fishkeeping organisation journals) once your initial contributions are used up what usually happens that you'll be screaming for articles with little or no response.and then you start to publish drivel.
It must also be kept in-house with personal accounts and pictures only as you may be in danger of copyright laws otherwise.
Regards
BigC

OK, sounds good, but if I send in an article and it's used, will I be able to use it on my site, since I wrote it? Also, would a link to my googlepage (basically just a little profile of me like how other authors have) be acceptable?

Ok, after some comments made here i have decided that it is actually more sensible not to do it...
If we get going good then people get tired and stop writing stories..well...

sorry for any inconvenience.

Oh, and my page is jourdy288.googlepages.com if you want to take a look at it.

Ok, after some comments made here i have decided that it is actually more sensible not to do it...
If we get going good then people get tired and stop writing stories..well...

sorry for any inconvenience.

*JOURDY288 FAINTS IN CHAIR* We have to do this! I think that a newsletter will be much easier if we could KEEP AT IT! I think that if we could write all the articles needed for a year, we can keep it going at least that long.

But I'm writing, and if we could have 5 articles a month times 6 months, that's only 30 articles, so we could have it out every two months for A YEAR and not have to bother people for articles.

Once you get the defo go ahead from the Mods, (please ask for confirmation as I have yet to hear anything) then I will sit down and write you an article.
Regards
BigC

I dont think the problem is actually writing the articles, its finding ideas for NEW articles, so people like Andywg can learn something from them.

Ok fine im back on again. Ill wait for mods conf. tho.

Im going to bed now so ill see whats happening in the morn. Again, anyone with articles please PM me. So far: 0

I dont think the problem is actually writing the articles, its finding ideas for NEW articles, so people like Andywg can learn something from them.

well tbh, i don't think we need to aim the newspaper at people like Andywg

I mean this as a complement to andy though, there's a handful of people on this forum who are really intelligent, who absolutely know their stuff scientifically, who always research and are just really bright. And yes I probably wouldn't be able to write anything that people like that would find all that interesting.

However if one of them was to write an article on whatever they choose, the remaining 90% of the people who come on the forum could probably learn a lot from it.

So no Andy, there might not be anything which would be interesting or useful to you, but how would you feel about writing something which would be interesting and useful to the rest of us?

Likewise, let us know if this gets the go ahead and I'll have a bash at writing something.

Well, I'm working on something...I have articles on my site, feel free to use 'em, just PM me first, I'll send in this article.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back