Surprised with a five-gallon aquarium...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dsch132

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A friend of mine just moved and her new landlord won't let her have an aquarium. As such, I've now inherited a five-gallon tank. Supposedly, it's been running for almost two years with no fish but lots of plants and various waves of pest infestations. I think the pests are gone now, but I'll observe carefully. She used to have a mystery snail, but apparently it escaped (which makes me want to replace the hood if I decide to have snails).

The setup has nice filtration and lights and is absolutely full of foliage. I've seen flame moss, java ferns, anubias, and a little bit of duck weed (which I'll keep an eye on). I think there might actually be a moss ball at the bottom...or that could be an especially dense moss clump. The plants need some tending (there's a good deal of rotten and overgrown material) and the heater is ugly and unreliable; I might replace that. Despite travel and neglect, the water quality is excellent.

Normally, I like to scape my own tanks, but I don't want to completely do away with what she put down. The anubias and java ferns are pretty firmly attached and the substrate has good bacteria. It's also just a matter of respecting her original design. Overall, I'm very excited about this opportunity.

What do you think I should do with this tank?

Last edited:
A friend of mine just moved and her new landlord won't let her have an aquarium. As such, I've now inherited a five-gallon tank. Supposedly, it's been running for almost two years with no fish but lots of plants and various waves of pest infestations. I think the pests are gone now, but I'll observe carefully. She used to have a mystery snail, but apparently it escaped (which makes me want to replace the hood if I decide to have snails).

The setup has nice filtration and lights and is absolutely full of foliage. I've seen flame moss, java ferns, anubias, and a little bit of duck weed (which I'll keep an eye on). I think there might actually be a moss ball at the bottom...or that could be an especially dense moss clump. The plants need some tending (there's a good deal of rotten and overgrown material) and the heater is ugly and unreliable; I might replace that. Despite travel and neglect, the water quality is excellent.

Normally, I like to scape my own tanks, but I don't want to completely do away with what she put down. The anubias and java ferns are pretty firmly attached and the substrate has good bacteria. It's also just a matter of respecting her original design. Overall, I'm very excited about this opportunity.

What do you think I should do with this tank?
Can we see a photograph?

Hi! Welcome to the forum! There isn't much you can put in a 5 gallon but we will help you with getting fish if you decide to. But before getting fish, you must know the conditions of the water you have. Such as your water hardness and PH, as well as the KH. If you do decide on snails do NOT do mystery snails for the 5 gallon. They require a minimum of 20 gallons because they make a ton of waste and eat a lot.

There aren't really any nano species that can live in a 5g. However, it would make an awesome shrimp tank. May we please see pictures of it?
There aren't really any nano species that can live in a 5g. However, it would make an awesome shrimp tank. May we please see pictures of it?
There are several species that would do well in a 5 gallon!

Any of the Elassoma species
Any of the Boraras species
Dario dario
Endlers (be prepared for many offspring if mixed sex)
Single Betta splendens or pair of some species of wild bettas
Least killifish
Any of the Sundadanio species
Stone catfish
Danionella (dracula or translucida)
Clown killifish (or pair/trio of several species of killi)

Least killifish
these are alll livebearers right?

Get 10000 ramshorns, breed 'em until every corner is crammed up and sell 'em.
1 male betta should be fine in a 5 gallon?
Shrimp is definitely an option. I've seen 10litre nano tanks specifically for shrimp.
As a general rule I made, 1 nerite snail per 10 litres. T/10 = S, where T is how much litres your tank is and S is how much nerite snails can live in the tank.
Endler guppies could be an option.

Any of the Boraras species
Dario dario
Single Betta splendens or pair of some species of wild bettas
Least killifish
Any of the Sundadanio species
Stone catfish
Danionella (dracula or translucida)
Clown killifish (or pair/trio of several species of killi)
IMHO, no fish belongs in a 5 gallon tank. It’s just too small of space. That’s just my opinion.

I have never heard of a Least Killifish, thank you. I have learnt something. This is where Latin names are useful
Very true- I’m not sure why they are commonly called least killifish as they are not killies. They are very neat little US native fish though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back