Help guys!!! I'm worried!!

Deeznuts

Reaction score
IMG_0182.jpeg

So, I'll try and keep this story short. The picture above is my sister's tank. She's 13. Her bf is 14. Here's the thing. His parents are very wealthy, and they adore my sister, but they buy her whatever she asks for.

When she was 11, she wanted goldfish, so I got her two, but I knew they'd outgrow their tanks, and so, knowing I had a koi pond to put them in if she got fed up with them as kids do, I didn't mind.

After seeing my parent's tank, she wanted a new tank, but I said she should appreciate the big tank, but her boyfriend's parents bought her this small nano tank above. Long story short. I said she can only have snails because it's not big enough for fish other than beta, but I know they're difficult to take care of, so I didn't mention it. I let her plant it, and she wanted it like my parents. It's not the prettiest, but it's okay for her.

I visited my parents today to find out that her boyfriend's parents had bought her five white cloud minnows!!!! It's 16 litres!!

The tropical tank is 25 degrees. I know they're temperate, but they can't thrive in that. I read that people in the U.K. have had luck with them in their ponds, but I know my koi would see them as a tasty treat.

Suggestions please? No, I won't buy her a big tank lol

Suggest she turn off the heater, and do weekly water changes of 40%. It's not ideal but it's not impossible as long as they don't add any more fish to the mix. I assume the tank isn't cycled, but somehow, I don't think you'll be able to work on that with someone else's tank. It may end in disaster, but when it's not your tank, there's isn't much you can do.

Suggest she turn off the heater, and do weekly water changes of 40%. It's not ideal but it's not impossible as long as they don't add any more fish to the mix. I assume the tank isn't cycled, but somehow, I don't think you'll be able to work on that with someone else's tank. It may end in disaster, but when it's not your tank, there's isn't much you can do.
There’s no heater in the tank. It’s cold water with a built in filter. It initially had two Nerite snails.

Yes, that’s my concern. My parents listen to my advice, but you know how children are. I won’t be able to manage it not being there.

I read that the rule of thumb is 0.5cm per litre of water. They’re only about 2cms big right now. I suppose they’re okay for the time being but I assume there will be a lot of fighting in a small tank.

When I was a kid, I had white clouds live for over 2 years - a group of 6, in a 20 ltr. I wish I hadn't done that, but I set the tank up when I was about 11, and the fish did okay. White clouds are hardy and peaceful.

Just let her try it and if they die, maybe she will realise a bigger tank is better. But as Gary said, big water changes and see how they go.

When I was a kid, I had white clouds live for over 2 years - a group of 6, in a 20 ltr. I wish I hadn't done that, but I set the tank up when I was about 11, and the fish did okay. White clouds are hardy and peaceful.
Okay. That makes me feel a little better about the situation. Thanks

Just let her try it and if they die, maybe she will realise a bigger tank is better. But as Gary said, big water changes and see how they go.

Sadly, that’s the way a lot of people learn. I’ll have to remind my parents to assist her.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back