Super Double Red Apistos

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

moochy13

Fish Herder
Reaction score
just seen some very small ones (about an inch) at my LFS, and am very tempted to get a pair. but is there a way to tell what they are when they're so small, both sex-wise and which type of apisto it is ? what is a decent price ?

to be honest i've already forgot what they looked like and how much they were, i wasnt really thinking about getting them till i got home and checked out some pictures.

Probably either cacatouides, or maybe agassizi. As i've seen double and super red versions of both.

Males, longer fins, females smaller body.

Easier to check by photo.

well i brought them, hopefully a pair. i think i ID'd a pair, my mate came over and I'D the same pair, and when i told the guy i wanted a pair, he also pointed out the same fish, so i hope 3 of us aren't wrong. they are very small 'double reds' apparantly, cost 8 quid each. i think they are too small to tell from body or fin size, ill get some pics when i can.

in the shop one was very yellow (female i think) and the other, hopefully male, was grey. however in my tank the 'female' keeps changing between yellow and grey. i really want these to get big and healthy, whats their favourite food ? im feeding about 8 different foods at the moment (not all at once obviously), so should have something they like.

heres some pictures. they're not much bigger than my cherry barbs at the moment, and the colouration is very similar. i just hope its a pair. however as i said int he shops they were very different.

supposed male first (would not flare for the camera :angry: ) :

tehrthmm2.jpg

tehrthmm1.jpg

in the photo above, when the lateral stripe fades, it leaves a black dot on the side of the fish, you can sort of see where it is where there is a bulge in the line.

aerhehmm2.jpg

aerhehmm1.jpg

and the supposed female

wrwerff2.jpg

wrwerff1.jpg

egbetgff2.jpg

egbetgff1.jpg

any ideas ?

There Apistogramma cacatouides.
Definitely a pair, the males are a brown colour where as female have a yellow tint to there body. If you have room and money you would be best off getting 1-2 more females. They do best with 1 male to multiple females but pairs can work aswell.

are they just normal then, not double red ? tbh, i dont even know what the difference is, and im not really bothered to be honest what they are. just wondering if the shop got the name right. well imglad they are a pair, and was correct in which ones are which. the one ive got as female was almost bright yellow in the shop tank, though has faded a bit now. the male hasnt really been brown, more like gunmetal grey most of the time. im slightly overstocked now so cant really get anymore, and me and my mate had the last ones anyway.

are they just normal then, not double red ? tbh, i dont even know what the difference is, and im not really bothered to be honest what they are. just wondering if the shop got the name right. well imglad they are a pair, and was correct in which ones are which. the one ive got as female was almost bright yellow in the shop tank, though has faded a bit now. the male hasnt really been brown, more like gunmetal grey most of the time. im slightly overstocked now so cant really get anymore, and me and my mate had the last ones anyway.
Red, Double red, Flame ect are all just different strains of cacatouides. I think it will be hard to tell for sure until there older and have fully coloured up although they do look like they could be doubles.Maybe brown was the wrong word, your male is the right colour and females are more yellow. Im sure once she settles in she will go back to the bright colours. If its the tank in your sig there in it looks perfect for them and if your water quality's good and there well fed theres a good chanc of them breeding.

that great news, thanks. the LFS have done themselves proud this time. :lol: they are in the tank below. imnot overly fussed if they breed, i wont be going out of my way to make it happen, i dont have a fry tank or anything, if it happens and some live, it happens. theres a nice little cavey place under some moss covered wood that im hoping they take to eventually. in fact the pictures of the female have the 'cave' in the background. the moss comes down like a curtain the fish poke their heads through :lol:

Nice one moochy. They look really nice. You got the apisto's finally, well who can resist anyways :good:

Stop it... I want some again! One of the best fish I have ever kept, both in terms of temperament and character and also for their stunning colours. Nice examples, hope they do well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back