Sunlight Near A Tank

fish.com1

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Yorkshire
Hi everyone

I know your not meant to put aquariums near sunlight, and mine isn't, but i was wondering what would happen if you did? Would the tank heat up or more algae grow.Does it matter how far the tank is away from the window? Im thinking of putting a tank opposite a window but it will be more than 3 metres away from the window. Does this make any difference?

thanks everyone
 
Depending on the age of the otto's, theres a chance they will barely touch it. You can try putting black backing around the back and side which should reduced it somewhat.

Keep an old credit card (or similar sized plastic card) handy and take care of any excess algae with that, ideally just before you do a water change so its still floating and can be hoovered up in the water change.
 
Hi everyone

I know your not meant to put aquariums near sunlight, and mine isn't, but i was wondering what would happen if you did? Would the tank heat up or more algae grow.Does it matter how far the tank is away from the window? Im thinking of putting a tank opposite a window but it will be more than 3 metres away from the window. Does this make any difference?

thanks everyone


If you're interested in trying the Walstad method, natural daylight is a plus.

[URL="http://thegab.org/Articles/WalstadTank.html"]http://thegab.org/Articles/WalstadTank.html[/URL]

Wish I could get all mine near a window...
Wish I could type without having it come out 'typo'...
 
I think that method is a novel idea but is too unpredictable.
 
Hehe aye. I love the self sustaining tank idea, and I'm sure it can work but I suspect that its a case of letting the tank dictate its appearance and to some degree stocking rather than the other way round. Which isn't necessarily an issue unless your a control freak like me ;)
 
My tank is directly opposite an approximately west facing window, but not much sun comes in as it's at an angle.( the only place I could put it ) . I do get some brown algae on the back wall of the tank, but all in all I have not had any massive algal blooms really. If I had the bioload available for otos I'd have a few to clean up the brown algae .

Direct sun on a tank though will simply get you a boatload of algae and a hellish cleaning job.
 
Hehe aye. I love the self sustaining tank idea, and I'm sure it can work but I suspect that its a case of letting the tank dictate its appearance and to some degree stocking rather than the other way round. Which isn't necessarily an issue unless your a control freak like me ;)


The biggest complaint seems usually to be from people who like a hobby that keeps them busy - not just something to look at.
I think it's people who keep fish as pets, rather than the dedicated aquatic gardener, who find this suited to their very different purposes.

Another point is that people who keep fish as pets and aren't dedicated aquatic gardeners who like to keep busy fussing over tanks are going to do different things and have different tastes and capabilities anyway.

But some of them are nice, or, in some cases, will be once they establish and fill in.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/S...arium/20gal.jpg

(From this thread http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap...od-gets-24.html )

Another Shurik special: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/S...lfront7june.jpg

Just to make sure you don't miss the amusing video she did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ICQNdERWsA
which, by the way, has a important soundtrack...


(From http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap...gal-tall-5.html )

From below: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/ult...ie/DSCF0180.jpg

lots of pics here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap...-natural-2.html


http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap...ural-tanks.html

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap...-iwagumi-5.html
(Guessing this one didn't work out - no shots from when it filled out, anyway.
But the rocks were kinda cool.)


And one more typical, perhaps: http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/pap...s/135mar908.jpg

from: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap...ral-update.html

Another big thing is patience - plants grow in their own sweet time - not yours.
And for humans, that can be very hard to accept...
 
Walstad's method is far from new. I have her book and the copyright in it says 1999. The method is not one that many of us have used but it is a proven method used by many plant hobbyists.
 
Walstad's method is far from new. I have her book and the copyright in it says 1999. The method is not one that many of us have used but it is a proven method used by many plant hobbyists.

Very true - this method is based on what people did long before all the fancy equipment, etc. was invented and sold.
She studied and explained why and how the method works on a scientific and practical basis, and helpfully indicates the most successful routes.
An established Walstad also provides a major stride toward water conservation, something becoming more essential every year.
 
Im thinking of putting a tank opposite a window but it will be more than 3 metres away from the window. Does this make any difference?
It might make alot of difference. Will any direct sunlight reach the tank? If so for how long and at what strength (time of day). What is the orientation & size of the window & what is on the other side of it (trees, fence, wall etc). And does the window have curtains/blinds?
There are lots of factors and lots of things you can do to minimise the light.
 
SUNlight???? Can't be in the UK then :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top