Sump?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
I'm a freshwater keeper so excuse my lack of knowledge but how does the sump work? Is it just a supplemental container of aquarium water which is circulated with the main tank?

While we're at it, how does a refugium work?

Just wondered!! :D

A sump is not just for marine fish, i run one on my catfish tank. A sump is used mainly for marine fish so that it can house all the equipment required because there can be a lot more. it also adds extra volume to the tank. all you see in the tank is pipe for water to exit and a pipe for water to return.

A refugium is just somewhere for critters to live without predation from fish and other preditors. every so often one of these little critters i.e copepods etc, will get washed in to the main tank which is a good constant food souce.

A sump usually has a filter built into it. It sits underneath your tank, or hangs on the back. If you want a sump, it's going to cost you, because you have to have your tank specially drilled in order to put the pipes in that lead to and back from the sump.

A sump also is a place where you can store your heater, pump, protein skimmer, etc. :) Because it has the water open to the air (no cover), a lot of the water evaporates, but it also helps get a lot of oxygen into the water.

This information applies mainly to sumps that sit underneath the tank. I don't know that much about those that hang on the back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back