Sump questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RunRedRunner

Reaction score
When setting up a sump on a freshwater tank does it go against the norm to put a sponge filter in it?

Will I get an accurate reading if I put the ph/temp monitors probe in the sump instead of the main tank?

I would say yes, it is against the norm to put a sponge filter, in a tank that already has a sump.

I would say it would be more accurate, if you put the ph/temp monitors main tank, but maybe you could hide them behind a piece of hardscape? :)

I would say yes, it is against the norm to put a sponge filter, in a tank that already has a sump.

I would say it would be more accurate, if you put the ph/temp monitors main tank, but maybe you could hide them behind a piece of hardscape? :)
I’m talking about putting the sponge in the sump.

Putting a sponge filter in the sump, or just putting in a sponge? :)

There would be no benefit to doing this.
It would make sense to have the probes in the sump as temp and pH aren't likely to be significantly different. You could also put the heater(s) in there which would allow you to have a really clean / uncluttered tank.

If your intention is to have a "cycled filter" ready for hospital or quarantine tanks you could just throw the sponges into the sump, and then take them out and attach to a sponge filter in another tank when you need them.

Like I said, it can be done, but as he asked “Is it the norm”? :)

I’ve seen where people had a bubble trap to their sump to keep the bubbles down in there main tank. That’s why I’m wondering. So I guess there is better way to do the gas exchange in the sump. I will be adding a eshopps medium overflow box. I haven’t decided on what type of sump yet.

Filter materials are normally put in the sump. Filter materials can be bioballs, sponges, white filter matting or anything else used to filter water.

The tank water drains into the sump and goes through white filter matting to remove most of the course material. This matt gets hosed out each week. Then the water flows through sponges and bioballs, and carbon if you want that in there. The water then flows into the main part of the sump and gets pumped back into the tank.

Heaters and other equipment can go in the sump.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back