Suggestions!? Goldfish at bottom of tank...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tfatk

Reaction score
I have an Oranda goldfish whos just sitting at the bottom of the tank.
20200319_102331.jpg

Noticed he was acting different a few days ago, after another goldfish died in the tank. Did a water change... but noticed he still wasnt swimming much. Now it seems like he tries to swim and sinks back down. Anything i could do to help? Thought he mightve just been sad because he lost a pal.

The fish is covered in excess mucous and has clamped fins. They are typical symptoms associated with poor water quality.

How long has the tank been set up for?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

-----------------
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks or until we work out what is wrong.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels.

I agree with colin. Did the other fish appear sick before it died?

I agree with colin. Did the other fish appear sick before it died?

Yes it was sick... didint know what was wrong with it though, had white stuff coming out of its head, quarantined and treated with melafix, but still ended up dying.

So i quarantined this 1 as well and treating it

Fish naturally have a thin clear layer of mucous over their body and fins. It helps them slip through the water easier and provides a first line of defence against things in the water. When they are stressed out by something in the water, they increase the amount of mucous and it can look like there is a creamy white film over the body and fins. Like your fish in the picture.

If fish are ever stressed out and or showing a creamy white film over their head, body and or fins, test the water, and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

The big daily water changes will dilute any harmful substances or disease organisms in the water and help the fish.

---------------
There is no point treating fish with chemicals unless you know what the problem is. Most chemicals are poisonous to fish and other organisms, including people. If a fish has ammonia poisoning and you add a chemical medication to treat bacteria, fungus and protozoans, you make the fish worse.

Chemicals and medications should only be used if the fish is actually sick, and you need to use the correct treatment for the ailment.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth a read when you have some spare time.

The fish is covered in excess mucous and has clamped fins. They are typical symptoms associated with poor water quality.

How long has the tank been set up for?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

-----------------
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks or until we work out what is wrong.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels.

Been doing water changes, so all parameters are normal, except for having hard water. Quarantined him... but he had stopped eating and ended up dying last night. Thanks for your help though

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back