Suggestions For 9L Betta Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DeanoL83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a betta on my desk at work in a small 9L tank. Unfortunately, he died a few months ago. I'd like to get another fish or a few small fish for the tank. Apart from another betta, is there anything else suitable?

Was thinking maybe 5-6 rasbora maculata?? Or some small tetra like ember tetras??

I like the hengeli rasbora too but assume they are a bit too big and active??

Thanks for any advice :)

Apart from another betta, is there anything else suitable?
Maybe some shrimp but To keep shrimp it would need to be filtered and cycled and mature.

9 L IMO  is too small for anything but a hospital tank.

I wouldn't have considered the tank suitable for a betta (or any other fish) in the first place.
If you want to keep that tank, as NickAu saud, you might want to consider shrimp, or those thai microcrabs that pretty much have the same requirements as shrimps, or snails.

If you're really keen on another fish, a betta will be fine with a minimum of 30 litres in a non-cube tank with a lid.

It's a little on the small side, but not unheard of. Appropriate or not, questionable. Can I ask how long your betta lived? If you're set on a fish for it, I'd suggest a small female betta over a male. They are colorful too, just without the long fins.

Thanks for the comments guys. It was sold as a betta tank at Petbarn and my betta lived in it happily for about 18 months until it jumped out one day through the slight gap in the top. Before that he had swum happily and made heaps of bubble nests etc.

I do like the idea of another fish, I haven't had any success with shrimp or snails before. I always thought female bettas were more social and not good alone???

I'd still advise you to get a 30 litre minimum tank. Your fish will be a lot happier, and it will still sit on your desk.

... and real plants. You didn't mention plants, so I'm going to strongly advise you to plant your aquarium.

If that thing has a filter on it, how about a half dozen neons?
In a 9 liter tank? you are kidding are you not?

Not at all. A 2 gallon tank can easily support a half dozen neons if it is properly filtered.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back