Sudden Molly deaths!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Grounderfree

Reaction score
Hi all

i recently just got my first tank in September. I had comets in it for the longest time. About a month ago I added 6 mollies And 3 corys. on the 26th I removed the comets (as they were too large) and Iā€™ve had 2 mollies die on me! I also added some more water as the water was getting low but I treated it with conditioner before adding.
I test my water each week and have 0 Ammonia and nitrite, about 25ppm nitrate, 150ppm GH, and about 80ppm KH (this is my only value that variates) with about 7-7.5 pH. From what I understand these are ok ranges.

what is going on? Could I kill them by overfeeding? Adding too much water conditioner? I don't know why itā€™s been a month and they are just dying now

The nitrates might be a little high. Are you doing water changes with gravel vac or just adding new water? Is the tank heated? What is the tank size?

Sounds like you poisoned your fish when you added water. What brand of conditioner did you use? Is your tap water treated with chlorine or chloramine?

Any chance of a picture and short 60 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

-------------------
The GH is a bit low for mollies who prefer it around 250ppm. However, that is unlikely to be the main issue.

The nitrates might be a little high. Are you doing water changes with gravel vac or just adding new water? Is the tank heated? What is the tank size?
Yes I vacuum the gravel when I do the change. Just didnā€™t add enough last time

Most reactions

trending

Back