Suction Cup Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

waterdrop

Enthusiastic "Re-Beginner"
Reaction score
After keeping me happy for several years, my Eheim spraybar has begun giving me a minor irritation. I have the type with a simple curved hook tube that comes over the top edge of the tank and is then connected to the simple tube spraybar by a short few inches of vinyl tubing. The spraybar is held to the glass by a couple of gray suction cups of the type that come with the Eheim filters and are used in the tank for the intake and output tubes.

My problem is that I'm somehow getting a little more torque somehow on the connected end of the spraybar that wants to put a little outward (away from the tank wall) pressure on the outer end of the spraybar and it is just enough that when I come home at night the outer suction cup (or two, I have put a third one on so that I have two out at the outer end) has come loose from the glass and the spraybar is no longer optimally positioned to give surface disturbance the way I want.

I have tried scrubbing the suction cups and the glass on the theory that perhaps algae or other organic matter is lessening the suction. The suction cups seem physically fine but is it a known thing among you guys that these need to be replaced eventually, could that be it? Could it be that my (rough sponge) scrubbing of the glass or suction cups is not enough?

As a related question, I think there are some alternative output/spraybar pieces you can get from Eheim. Any experiences or recommendations about those?

Thanks!
WD

Maybe some of these might be useful

www.magclip.co.uk/

I've always found suction cups lose power over a few years. I've tried reviving them in very hot water, but it's really only a stop gap remedy.

The flexible material the suction cups are made from degrades over time and loses its ability to stick right. No amount of cleaning will restore the plasticizers. The answer, in my mind, is a new suction cup. Around here, new suction cup kits are sold at the LFS for almost nothing. It sounds like it is time to find such a kit WD.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back