3mm Thick Glass

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Update - I've been searching on the internet for a while now even on FB marketplace and Gumtree and found some decent-looking stuff. Even a perfect condition 60L that's a 30-minute drive away for only £30 from a breeder. The only problem is that the size tank won't fit in the intended space😢. On the other hand, I might have found a tank for a decent price including delivery as well. It's a 25L 40cm (length) with 4mm glass. Again I won't be getting a new tank right away as my priority is growing up my sawbwa fry until I can sell them on. So a look for a 2nd hand tank after Christmas will definitely happen. One other question also. I may have access to a 3D printer soon which means I could make a DIY Brace/Rim for a tank. Would that help keep the glass and overall structure of the aquarium stronger and from bowing??

Capture.JPG

Personally I doubt that a 6.6 gallon tank would exert enough pressure to bow the glass.

As to a 3D printer I've looked at them now and then. From what I've seen getting one large enough to make the trim would be cost prohibitive unless made in pieces. If make in pieces integrity of the trim would be compromised. Instead of actual trim you may want to consider a cross member going between the 2 longer pieces of glass. Even if done in pieces this would probably be better than trim as the pieces could be solidly joined. Also consider checking with a local print shop as they very well may have a larger printer.

Actually, going with a cross member, You could use just about anything as the brace as long as it is flat. Just silicone or glue it to the glass.

Personally I doubt that a 6.6 gallon tank would exert enough pressure to bow the glass.

As to a 3D printer I've looked at them now and then. From what I've seen getting one large enough to make the trim would be cost prohibitive unless made in pieces. If make in pieces integrity of the trim would be compromised. Instead of actual trim you may want to consider a cross member going between the 2 longer pieces of glass. Even if done in pieces this would probably be better than trim as the pieces could be solidly joined. Also consider checking with a local print shop as they very well may have a larger printer.

Actually, going with a cross member, You could use just about anything as the brace as long as it is flat. Just silicone or glue it to the glass.
Thanks for the info. The 3D printer is sadly a smaller one so it would have to be in pieces. Perhaps a shop like you suggested could be a good idea. One other thing Is I have access to my own wood workshop which also has a metal workstation. So if I made a DIY cross member/brace could wood or metal be used? Obviously, I'd treat the wood before using (Hard Wood or sheet material). As for the metal I use steel sheets.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The 3D printer is sadly a smaller one so it would have to be in pieces. Perhaps a shop like you suggested could be a good idea. One other thing Is I have access to my own wood workshop which also has a metal workstation. So if I made a DIY cross member/brace could wood or metal be used? Obviously, I'd treat the wood before using (Hard Wood or sheet material). As for the metal I use steel sheets.
Just due to corrosion caused by the tank water I'd use either brass or stainless steel. Sigh, as I spent many years as a class A prototype machinist I wish I had access to a metal shop. What machine tools can you access such as an engine lathe, Bridgeport mill, grinder, etc.? Give me a Bridgeport mill and an engine lathe and I could build just about anything. ;)

if anything the 3d printer is good is to make dividers or filtration media baskets that can hold the media if you're making a sump or the likes...
stainless steel ftw...you could just cut a strip of about 1.75" and just bend it around the aquarium then cut the corners to bend the inner side and weld it together then weld the brace on it
you don't need the brace on such a small tank though
but since you're looking at gumtree and stuff I'd just get a tank with a rim and save yourself the hassle

Last edited:
Just due to corrosion caused by the tank water I'd use either brass or stainless steel. Sigh, as I spent many years as a class A prototype machinist I wish I had access to a metal shop. What machine tools can you access such as an engine lathe, Bridgeport mill, grinder, etc.? Give me a Bridgeport mill and an engine lathe and I could build just about anything. ;)
The majority of tools I have are for woodworking but I've got a bench grinder, multiple whetstones, a drill press, and an old old sheet metal folder that I inherited from my grandad. I would love an engine lathe but I have practically no room left now😆. In the next town over is an old blacksmith/metal workshop which you can hire out equipment from. They even do classes every month. They specialize in heritage work and recently worked on a 17th-century listed building for its restoration.

Back again! Is 4mm on a 42L aquarium ok? A bit bigger and more expensive tank than I was originally thinking. These come with a glass brace also

Capture.JPG

A new Tank on the way! - I did not think I even had the room for this but a 90L 60cm is ordered. This will now be the biggest aquarium I've ever owned 😁. The price along with 10% off on top of that was definitely a factor for buying it. It's 8mm thick glass which is perfect. A DIY Stand is the next project to do before scaping it. It will have to be a low stand though as headroom in the corner is an issue as it is an attic room. Thanks again to all who helped on this thread also Happy New Year! 🥳

Capture.JPG

I bought ~3mm glass at Lowe’s to make lids. It was all they had. I was shocked by how thin & flimsy it was when I got home. I called a few glass stores that had 1/4”, 6.35mm, for only a few dollars more, also cut to what I needed, 4 sections. It simply did not occur to me to measure the thickness on the lids I had before going to Lowe’s.

A new Tank on the way! - I did not think I even had the room for this but a 90L 60cm is ordered. This will now be the biggest aquarium I've ever owned 😁. The price along with 10% off on top of that was definitely a factor for buying it. It's 8mm thick glass which is perfect. A DIY Stand is the next project to do before scaping it. It will have to be a low stand though as headroom in the corner is an issue as it is an attic room. Thanks again to all who helped on this thread also Happy New Year! 🥳

View attachment 333762
Oooh congrats! I’ve been checking in on this thread for a bit and I’m glad you were able to find a tank that works for you! I’m also going to be making my own stand, so I wish you luck with yours too. I could get a pre-made stand, but making one seems so much more rewarding.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is the total weight of tank+stand. A 90L tank will probably be somewhere in the ballpark of 200-250 pounds (~90-115kg), and depending on your stand’s construction, it could be another 15-30 pounds. You mention it’s going in an attic room. Make sure the floor can handle that amount of weight! Maybe you’ve already taken this into account, but it’s always good to keep in mind. I couldn’t even imagine the disaster of a floor giving out under the weight of a tank…

Oooh congrats! I’ve been checking in on this thread for a bit and I’m glad you were able to find a tank that works for you! I’m also going to be making my own stand, so I wish you luck with yours too. I could get a pre-made stand, but making one seems so much more rewarding.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is the total weight of tank+stand. A 90L tank will probably be somewhere in the ballpark of 200-250 pounds (~90-115kg), and depending on your stand’s construction, it could be another 15-30 pounds. You mention it’s going in an attic room. Make sure the floor can handle that amount of weight! Maybe you’ve already taken this into account, but it’s always good to keep in mind. I couldn’t even imagine the disaster of a floor giving out under the weight of a tank…
Good luck with your stand as well! I've been put off by premade because of cost mainly.

I am aware of the weight being quite a lot. I currently have an Oak wooden chest (31-inch length) I made in the area where the tank will be going which weighs quite a bit and had no issues so far. The attic room was built around 4-6 years ago so I'm guessing it should hold the weight. I will most likely not be filling this aquarium full either. Probably about 70-75L will be the most water volume. As I am hoping for emersed growth on some of the plants I'm planning to use

Good luck with your stand as well! I've been put off by premade because of cost mainly.

I am aware of the weight being quite a lot. I currently have an Oak wooden chest (31-inch length) I made in the area where the tank will be going which weighs quite a bit and had no issues so far. The attic room was built around 4-6 years ago so I'm guessing it should hold the weight. I will most likely not be filling this aquarium full either. Probably about 70-75L will be the most water volume. As I am hoping for emersed growth on some of the plants I'm planning to use
Thanks! Yeah, the cost is a big factor for me too.

The weight will probably be fine then, especially if you aren’t filling it up all the way. Now that you have a larger tank than your initial plan, are you still gonna stick with shrimp or are you thinking about putting fish in as well?

I was put off by the cost of a pre-made stand as well until I made my own now I'm wondering exactly how much money I would have saved by just buying it. 🤣

Thanks! Yeah, the cost is a big factor for me too.

The weight will probably be fine then, especially if you aren’t filling it up all the way. Now that you have a larger tank than your initial plan, are you still gonna stick with shrimp or are you thinking about putting fish in as well?
I love Lake Inle species I keep sawbwa and breed them. I'm thinking of an upgrade for my sawbwa from a 60L. I also like CPDs. A group of 10+ would be perfect for this tank. But the shrimp tank is definitely still on my mind. Just need to make a decision with what fits the size and water parameters.

What are you thinking of for yours?

Edit: My scape idea is quite a basic scape with lots of plants a few cobbles as hardscape and a
terracotta pot on its side that would be in the red square area
Image.jpg

Last edited:
I was put off by the cost of a pre-made stand as well until I made my own now I'm wondering exactly how much money I would have saved by just buying it. 🤣
The cost of Lumber is quite high at the moment. Perhaps a look into premade might be a wise option

Most reactions

Back