June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
For the past few weeks, I've been trying to get all the kit I need to refurb the used Fluval FX4 I've bought and also to connect my JBL python to my kitchen tap and every time I think "This is the last thing I need" it never is!

For the FX4 I needed new pipes, a new inlet and a new outlet. The pipes and outlet were pretty straightforward forward but the inlet had two parts the strainer and the pipe to connect to the flexible pipe... then I realised I needed a pack of suction cups to attach the inlet to the glass!

Then to connect the python to the tap I thought I needed some kind of extension screw bit as the connector is a male connection and the tap is a male connection so I needed a length of female connector to make them fit... the parts are not expensive but I've gone through about 4 or 5 of them now and they take a while to get delivered. But then I was just staring at the brass connector and realised there is a female thread on the inside of one of the parts and with a bit of technique it fits!

And here is why it never ends! I hooked up the length of pipe and its about 10 inches too short to reach the tank (because I cut it for a different room....) so hopefully quick trip to an LFS tomorrow for more tubing and then possibly we are finally set.

However I do need to work out how to cut the intake pipe for the FX4, the tank is 20 inches deep but someone the intake strainer still wants to sit on the sand unless I cut it and I can't quite work out how to cut the pipes so everything still connects into place. Anyone know how to do it?

Wills

For the past few weeks, I've been trying to get all the kit I need to refurb the used Fluval FX4 I've bought and also to connect my JBL python to my kitchen tap and every time I think "This is the last thing I need" it never is!

For the FX4 I needed new pipes, a new inlet and a new outlet. The pipes and outlet were pretty straightforward forward but the inlet had two parts the strainer and the pipe to connect to the flexible pipe... then I realised I needed a pack of suction cups to attach the inlet to the glass!

Then to connect the python to the tap I thought I needed some kind of extension screw bit as the connector is a male connection and the tap is a male connection so I needed a length of female connector to make them fit... the parts are not expensive but I've gone through about 4 or 5 of them now and they take a while to get delivered. But then I was just staring at the brass connector and realised there is a female thread on the inside of one of the parts and with a bit of technique it fits!

And here is why it never ends! I hooked up the length of pipe and its about 10 inches too short to reach the tank (because I cut it for a different room....) so hopefully quick trip to an LFS tomorrow for more tubing and then possibly we are finally set.

However I do need to work out how to cut the intake pipe for the FX4, the tank is 20 inches deep but someone the intake strainer still wants to sit on the sand unless I cut it and I can't quite work out how to cut the pipes so everything still connects into place. Anyone know how to do it?

Wills
Are they acrylic or another hard plastic? If so, a hacksaw with a fine blade should cut them and a gentle touch up with sandpaper will smooth the cut edges.

Most reactions

Back