Substrate Colour

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am turning my hi-tech tank into a low tech one when i move house. I just don't have the time anymore. So i will try and turn it into my low-tech tank (shown below, the smaller of the two) with plants which i don't need to touch - no ferts, no CO2, bliss!

But, what colour substrate? My small tank has black substrate which looks really good against the green plants. Which is kind of the theory i had with my big tank, but as its ADA substrate, it looks like mud!! So the frame and the back are both black.....i think black substrate would be a bit much haha!

So, opinions?!

Also, When i convert, i will keep some of my ADA substrate as mature substrate, but i have loads - a good 3 /5 inches at the back!! So i will cut that down and put 1/2 to 1 inch substrate down. Sound ok?

7090_2c.jpg

Rorie.jpg

Black for me... :good:

Another substrate i am very impressed by is Unipac Senegal sand. Have a look, it looks great when wet and in the tank fully planted like yours are!

Black...even with a black background and black aquarium stand? You not think there will be too much black?! It won't be as carpeted as the photo above, but i plan for it to be similar in density to my small tank which is shown under the 1st photo.

I was thinking sand could be good. Nice cheap alternative. And could lighten up the tank a bit. But i think i could have issues planting in it, as i have issues with the ADA stuff. Also, i won't be cleaning the substrate much, so i would worry about the sand holding onto ammonia....

I got myself some black sand today made by Roman gravel and I think it's going to look stunning with the green of the plants. It's a nice colour actually because it's not jet black, it's more of a charcoal colour. Maybe you could go with that? They also make a speckled sand which is mainly golden sand with black and greys mixed in...looks really interesting :)

Kuhli Loaches and Malaysian Trumpet Snails will sort your sand out, but tbh, i don't vacuum mine that often and i have no issues at all.

If you think black would look too much (which i don't) then check out Unipac Limpopo. It's a mix of black, dark grey and light grey sands. Top notch stuff.

DSC00094-1.jpg

I always found that discus always lost colour and looked darker when kept on dark substrate, found it better to keep to colours not too white (will tern green in no time) or too dark. TBH the normal silver sand or Nordic river gravel always made them colour up good, especially with blue background!

They also make a speckled sand which is mainly golden sand with black and greys mixed in...looks really interesting :)

Sounds interesting, got a link?

Kuhli Loaches and Malaysian Trumpet Snails will sort your sand out, but tbh, i don't vacuum mine that often and i have no issues at all.

If you think black would look too much (which i don't) then check out Unipac Limpopo. It's a mix of black, dark grey and light grey sands. Top notch stuff.

Nice photo...it does look good :) Very nice tank

I always found that discus always lost colour and looked darker when kept on dark substrate, found it better to keep to colours not too white (will tern green in no time) or too dark. TBH the normal silver sand or Nordic river gravel always made them colour up good, especially with blue background!

I think you could have a good point. Discus change colour and can be so stroppy is not happy haha. MAybe i could go for an off colour white....

Anybody got any good links to off whites (the ones mentioned maybe?). Price could be an issue as i'll need a lot of it for my 360L tank!

Just go with Play Sand if you want a lighter colour Rorie. Cheap as Chips. £2.99 from Argos!)

Just go with Play Sand if you want a lighter colour Rorie. Cheap as Chips. £2.99 from Argos!)

That is what i have had in my mind for a while now....other than the two potential issues - trouble planting, and trouble with trapped ammonia. BUT, i guess sand is a bit denser than my ADA substrate, so won't have as much problems.

I think sand could be the answer. And see if anybody wants to buy some ADA substrate haha

i dont really have trouble with plants in my playsand, as for the trapped gasses, load of tosh.

i dont really have trouble with plants in my playsand, as for the trapped gasses, load of tosh.

succinctly put.
though gasses do get trapped. they are not dangerous to fish. (as they leave the tank so fast, if disturbed)
even more so for ammonia. no more would be trapped than in gravel.

DSC00094-1.jpg
High Minnnt
Would it be ok to mix the limpopo black sand with another black sand or would i lose the effect
of limpopo on its own?
just a thought.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back