How to grow hygrofilla pinnatifida.

Mazain

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 2, 2023
Messages
282
Reaction score
143
Points
43
Location
Sri lanka
Which is the best way to grow hygrofilla pinnatifida in a low tech setup. Is it more sucessfull atached to a rock, wood or planted in substrate?
In contrast to pinnatifida One of the other dificult plant was windelow fern. The plant took close to 8 months to start growing in my fish tank but, didn't flurish in a low tech set up.
As an epiphyte plant is pinnatifida dificult than windelow fern or does both plants need supplements and ferts to grow in a low tech setup?
 
Hygrophila pinnatifida (one L) is a slow growing plant.
https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Hygrophilapinnatifida(051ATC)/19228
It can be planted in the substrate or attached to wood or rocks.



I found Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv' very easy to grow and Tropica describes it as being, "A hardy and easy plant for both beginners and the more experienced." If you want to plant it in the substrate, only the roots can be buried. If the rhizome is buried, this will kill the plant.
https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Microsorumpteropus'Windel%C3%B8v'(008BTC)/31249
 
pH 7.0 but it changes over time. I have seen it just under 7.0 and as high as 7.3. It is also on the soft side.

I can pretty much grow any plant in my water. I ran a high tech pressurized CO2 tank for a decade. But is was a lot of work. Today I go for easy which means lower light levels. I have crypts, java ferns and anubias. I use Tropica ferts and have done so for about 23 years now.

I have never grown the pinnatifida so I cannot say how long. I always prefer not to start with emerssed as a lot of the time it requires the plant die and then it will regrow. When it dies back, the root system is still intact and a new plant sprouts which is the submerged form.

Some folks think when an emersed form dies back that it is dead. It is not. The new submerged form will grow from the buried root system. However, I am not sure what is available in Sri Lanka. If you do a Google search for "where to buy Tropica plants in Sri Lanka" you will get 20 stores available. Click the link below and that should save you time and effort.
https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...HZAYOjUQjGp6BAgdEAA&biw=1536&bih=716&dpr=1.25

If you can find it from Tropica it will be the submerged form.

(edited for typos)
 
Last edited:
However, I am not sure what is available in Sri Lanka. If you do a Google search for "where to buy tropica plants in sri lanka" you will get 20 stores available. Click the link below and that should save you time and effort.
https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...HZAYOjUQjGp6BAgdEAA&biw=1536&bih=716&dpr=1.25
This is tangent, most Lfs does not have a nursery or a proper propogation green houses that is suitable for home tap water setups. There will be a plant exporter where most Lfs get their plants from. The link is those kinda Lfs.
 
I found Hygrophila pinnatifida grows best emersed ;)
 
I found Hygrophila pinnatifida grows best emersed ;)
This plant in the uk grows and has a red colour. I checked this from my plant seller and he said it's because of the climate and water. It orgins from India, colors up in the uk and melts in sri lanka. Some plants do well in other countries.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top