strange marks on Oranda

sazash

Reaction score
about 2 weeks ago i noticed what i can only describe as a bruise appeared on its side. this has now spread into a larger area. the tailfin is changing a adarker colour also.

the goldfish is still eating, appears as active as usual. there are 2 other fish in the tank, they are ok.

we've had the fish about 10 weeks approx. we lost 2 others in the first weeks, a goldfish and a black moor. but these have been ok for weeks.

thanks for any advice,,,,,

sara :santa:

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

It could be down to a water burn, did you cycle the tank before introducing the fish and do you use a water conditioner?

Thanks for the reply. ;)

no didn't cycle the tank before putting the fish in, i thought that was only needed for tropical, these are in coldwater. -_-

the tank has a filter, a real plant and has gravel.

i do a partial water change about every 10 days, they are not overfed,i'm very conscious of overfeeding fish! :thumbs:

went to lfs this morning, he suggested a saltwater dip, we brought some of his saltwater home and placed the oranda in it for about 1 minute. hes back in the tank, swimming around, as active as usual.

i was told the water was ok here so i wouldn't need to add a water conditioner.

fingers crossed........

sara

You still have to cycle the tank for coldwater fish as the ammonia and nitrite will kill the fish the same as they would tropical, Do they not add clorine or chlorime to your water over there as they do here, if not then you possibly don't need a water conditioner but if they do I would recomend using a water conditioner to protect the fish as that could be the reason for the bruising and as soon as proper water conditions are met the bruising should clear up on its own, have you checked your water parimeters because during the cycle the water parimeters sky rocket and your tank is litterally toxic, the fish in it will suffer ammonia burn, and most likely although they look OK they will have a shorter life span.

thanks again, Goldene.

i never knew you had to cycle a coldwater tank...... thats probably the reason why goldfish don't live long then, for 'beginners'!! its not just a case of buying a bowl and a fish!!!! ;)

shall i do a big water change then... i don't have a water test kit, i take the tropical water to the lfs to get tested. :thumbs:

thinking about it...when i bought the setup, the filters were a complete unit, the water drips through the filter, i couldn't find replacement cartridges so have been putting filter wool over the old cartridge. rinsing it every other day and changing it when really bad. maybe the filtration isn't what it should be. -_-

i did a complete water change when i'd had them for 4 weeks but the day after one goldfish died, i think i must have shocked it... its put me off doing a major change!!! :(

thanks again

sara

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Not that long a go a woman on another forum asked the same question as you, her goldfish had a black mark on its head that had got bigger she thought it was changing colours so I mentiond about the water burn and recommended the tetra aquasafe water conditioner, not long after she started using it the black mark had completeley gone and her fish are doing great, I wouldn't do a big water change just a normal one (does your water have chlorine and or chlorime in it?) when you clean the filter do you clean it in old tank water or under the tap as you will kill the good bacteria that has built up if you rinse it under the tap. if your tank has been set up without a complete water change for 6 weeks and the filter for 10 weeks ( cleaning it in old tank water) it may have cycled already, so just do a water change about every 2 weeks should be fine, how is the filter working and what make is it as you should be able to get relacement filters are they sponge or a mix if you change the sponge to a new one the filter may have to cycle all over again it depends on what type of filter you have you dont need to clean it every other day every 2 weeks to a month is normal, For testing the water I use tetra 5 in 1 test strips which cost £9.99 for 20 strips you could give them a try you can use them for your tropical tank too, the only other kit you would need is for ammonia about £5.99, didn't the lfs asked about your water parimeters before suggesting the salt baths?

thanks again, Goldene.

i must look a complete fool.... with these answers.

yes i wash the filter under the tap :(

the lfs didn't ask for water parimeters :(

i haven't ever tested the tank :(

the tank has a lid with the filter fitted at the centre. the water is taken up through a glass tube at the side of the tank then drips thru the filter. the make of the filter cartridge is Penn-Plax clear free cartridge. the set up was bought from Petsmart at Bolton.

i will buy some of the water conditioner you suggested. i'm not sure if they add anything to the water here, i'll check, probably find out on the net, will i?? -_-

do the 5in 1 test strips test for nitrates, nitrites etc???

the marks on the fish seem to be spreading, it seems ok, eating etc, no "funny turns" like the other night...

thanks again

sara

the marks on the fish seem to be spreading, it seems ok, eating etc, no "funny turns" like the other night...
:/ what funny turn?
I have tried to find your filter on the net but only come up with corner filters and undergravel filters :dunno: so I am not sure what filter sponge etc you need for a replacement, is it just a sponge filter or are there charcoal and such? and is it removeble or fixed to the tank with silicone, if you can remove it have you concidered replacing it with a better filter that you can get replacement sponges and media for.
Iv only ever used aquasafe water conditioner but I hear that stress coat is also very good it has aloe vera in it, I might give that a try when I run out of the other. just out of curiosity how are your tropical fish doing if you have never used a water conditioner :fish: I hope everything turnes out ok and I have been of some help :)

Most reactions

trending

Back