Stocking Rate

mike777

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Well as you may know I just bought 2 rainbowfish (dunno what kind, they have kind of a grey body and an orange tail)

I have requested at my lfs that once they get 3 hatchetfish and 2 honey gouramis (one male one female) that they hold them for me. After I get those fish what should my stocking rate be? I do believe my tank is cycled (not 100% though) I already had a little nitrite and ammonia spike and now it is fine.

And if you know could you please tell me what kind of fish I should get next. Thanks :thumbs: :D

Edit: Honey Gouramis not Dwarf Gouramis

The rule is an inch/gallon

So your twenty gallon can hold more fish!
I would suggest livebearers or rasboras

Dont put in too many new fish at a time
Add fish over a period of time (I suggest one week intervals)

well, adding those new five fish will put you at around 15-17 inches worth of fish (if i have my sizes correct). you could safely put one or two more fish in provided they are only and inch or two in length. of course if you have a really good filter, you might be able to get away with four more of that size............

Hi Mike777. :)

I think you might be able to add 3 corydoras catfish to your tank. They are schooling fish and you will find they do better if you put in 2 or 3 rather than just one.

I suggest them because you do not have any fish that live on the bottom level of your tank. Corys will not only balance the way your tank looks but will help to keep it from being too crowded at any one level. :)

Besides, corys are great little fish! :thumbs: They are fun to watch and also help to clean up the uneaten food that the top feeders miss. You will like them, for sure! :nod:

thanks alot u guys that really helped :thumbs:

I was thinking about getting 2 or 3 more zebra danios and then as inchworm said getting some cories, but my tank doesnt have any algae yet so what can I feed them until I see some algae? and I really LOVE the way platies look can I get some?? and since I only asked for them to order them they may not order them because they had a very long list for requests. If I dont get them what are some possibilities? thanks everyone :thumbs: :D

Hi Mike777 :)

Corys don't really eat much algae from the tank. They are easy to feed, though. They will eat flake food if it reaches the bottom, and there are various sinking foods such as spirulina discs and shrimp pellets that you can get for them. They love bloodworms or tubliflex worms, either fresh, frozen or dried.

I think a pair of platties would make a lovely addition to your tank. :thumbs: They are available in such bright colors and perhaps you might get them to breed for you. :nod:

Inchworm said:
I think a pair of platties would make a lovely addition to your tank. :thumbs: They are available in such bright colors and perhaps you might get them to breed for you. :nod:
yes!! :D :thumbs: :D :thumbs: :kana: :kana: :D :thumbs: Iam so glad to hear that! but still what can I get as an alternative if I dont get my honey gouramis and hatchetfish?

Well, Mike 777, I think you should hold out for the honey gouramis, or just get one more dwarf gourami.

A pair of guppies might be a nice addition, too. :D

Thanks Inchworm,

I just got back from the LFS and I got one blue dwarf gouami and 3 kuhli cories!

I got cories I'm sure of that :nod:. I just realized I must have misheard the guy at the lfs they are actually called julii cories. Scroll down a bit on this and you will see a pic of him hope you like! :thumbs:

Hi Mike777 :)

I checked them out and they are great! :nod: I know you will love the little corys. :wub:

Are they big enough to tell if you have boys, girls, or both? :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back