Stocking Rate

Hi Mike777 :)

Cory males and females have the same markings and look alike in almost all ways except for size. And, it is hard to tell while they are still very young. :nod:

But, since you have 3 of them, take a look and perhaps you might be able to make an educated guess. If one or two of them are bigger--especially wider--they are quite likely to be females. Males are usually smaller and --look down at them from above--narrower then the females.

If you can see a difference, there's a good chance you will be right. But, if not, you may be able to tell once they have matured. Or, you may have all one sex.

When I buy corys, I like to get some of the largest ones and some of the smallest ones in the lfs tank. No guarantee, I'll have some of each, but I think it increases my chances. :rolleyes:

If you can see them, the male will have pointed ventral fins (on the bottom, toward the front) while the female's will be rounded. It's hard to tell by this method because they spend a lot of time sitting on them, but, perhaps you'll get lucky! ;)

Let me know what you think! :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back