Stocking options?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I am checking now.....

Lumens: 800

Here is a picture of it, I’m not sure if this will help...
image.jpg

But after this light “issue” is fixed, May we please get back to, stocking, and the questions I had in post #4? :)

That has all the info we need.
14 watts
800 lumens
5000 K

I watch a number of English mystery/detective stories (Christie, Sayers, up to modern shows like Midsomer Murders) and from the dialogue I think your "torch" is our "flashlight," a small beam light held in the hand. Useful to see in dark corners, finding the light panel in darkness, or for me, just being able to read the thermostat!
I was getting my 'translations' mixed up, thanks for the correction Byron.

HISTORICAL
a portable means of illumination such as a piece of wood or cloth soaked in tallow or an oil lamp on a pole, sometimes carried ceremonially.
synonyms: firebrand, brand; More
    BRITISH
    a portable battery-operated electric lamp; a flashlight.
    synonyms: lamp, light, flashlight, beacon; More
    verb
    INFORMAL
    1. 1.
      set fire to.
      "the shops had been looted and torched"
      synonyms: burn, set fire to, set on fire, set light to, set alight, incinerate, ignite, kindle, put/set a match to, light, start, touch off; More

Or at least these are my understandings of the word, “torch”, now the Military does use a super powerful flashlight, and they call it a “torch”, so I think that is what @Byron was saying. :)

On your pictured bulb, that is OK. I have two 9w CFL bulbs over my 10g and over my 20g tanks, with 6500K CFL bulbs. The 20g has one 6500K and one 5000K. This is good light for planted tanks.

On the bulb, here we call this CFL (compact fluorescent), they screw in to normal incandescent fixtures and use less energy. But they are not LED. But there are LED that screw into such fixtures, I bought some the other day, so it is a mute point. Bottom line is, this is a good light though you might want to get a 6500K (same type and wattage) to compare, you might prefer the 6500K or the 5000K which is "warmer" white.

But after this light “issue” is fixed, May we please get back to, stocking, and the questions I had in post #4?

I guess you want others to chime in, as I did answer the questions in my subsequent post #5.

I didn't notice it was a cfl, I was concentrating on the writing :oops:

On your pictured bulb, that is OK. I have two 9w CFL bulbs over my 10g and over my 20g tanks, with 6500K CFL bulbs. The 20g has one 6500K and one 5000K. This is good light for planted tanks.

On the bulb, here we call this CFL (compact fluorescent), they screw in to normal incandescent fixtures and use less energy. But they are not LED. But there are LED that screw into such fixtures, I bought some the other day, so it is a mute point. Bottom line is, this is a good light though you might want to get a 6500K (same type and wattage) to compare, you might prefer the 6500K or the 5000K which is "warmer" white.

I guess you want others to chime in, as I did answer the questions in my subsequent post #5.
You did answer the question about the HR, and the plants, but you did not suggest any “good” tank mates. :)

(Please Note, that I will soon be getting some Cherry Shrimp, and MTS. :))

Is a cfl bad? Here is a picture of the hole bulb. :)
9BFF44DA-455E-475F-A216-B568BB3F951A.jpeg

I didn't notice it was a cfl, I was concentrating on the writing :oops:

It might be LED, or regular CFL, I'm only going from the spiral design which is CFL but that does not mean they might not now be making LED in the same design. I'm no electrician. :drinks:

This is a picture of a warning, on the inside of the lamp, could I use a “bigger” bulb in that lamp, without it being dangerous? :)
C5DA3D5C-E656-451D-A7BE-0E12FC5A5FD7.jpeg

You did answer the question about the HR, and the plants, but you did not suggest any “good” tank mates. :)

(Please Note, that I will soon be getting some Cherry Shrimp, and MTS. :))

I didn't suggest good tankmates because there are none, in the fish line anyway. You intend a male Betta, and that is not a community fish so it should be on its own in this 10g planted tank.

Snails are fine, and shrimp probably but I've no experience with shrimp or if a Betta is likely to eat shrimp, so other members with that knowledge can reply.

800 lumens isn't that bright but it's bright enough for a fish only tank. The more lumens, the more light that is produced and the brighter it is.

This is a picture of a warning, on the inside of the lamp, could I use a “bigger” bulb in that lamp, without it being dangerous? :)
View attachment 92487

If this is the fixture into which the CFL bulb we've been discussing is to go, it will be fine.

The warning is probably for the pre-CFL pre-LED days when incandescent lighting was the norm (screw-in bulbs were all incandescent). They gave off a lot of heat (try touching one that has been on for a few minutes and you get a nasty burn/scorch) and could be dangerous and a fire hazard if the bulb gave off enough heat to really heat the fixture and anything touching it which could burst into flame.

LED and CFL are much less of a heat problem because they use the energy to produce light and much less heat, that is their advancement.

Compact Fluorescent globes can get hot and need air flowing around them otherwise they can burn out. The higher wattage globes do this more than low wattage globes.

Cory Cats are a good option for Betta tank mates. My betta lives with 6 in our 10 gal. The corys tend to stay at the bottom and the betta the top. The tank is also heavily planted. This will help with any tank mates you decide. Water sprite is a good choice as it's easy to grow and will reach the top to give your betta cover and security. Added a pic of Flame in his 10g
0K0P0Cw9NmaUgLUkwPrpmUjjw

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back