Stocking options?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My supplier, is the website from link #98. :)

That is the same site linked as in post #100, and that is where I got the data in my post #103.

My ph, in my 10 gallon tank, is 7.6 right now, I just did a test. (With my API master test kit.

This suggests something is being added, but you should still do the test of the tap water I suggested in post #103. Just plain fresh tap water, shaken very vigorously, then test for pH and see what you get.

EDIT. Just occurred to me, also run a glass of fresh tap water and let it sit 24 hours, then test pH. This is another testing tool that sometimes helps reveal this or that.

So it seems my water is perfect for CPD’s, but not for Ember Tetras?

The GH is fine for any of the fish. It is the pH I would want to get pinned down before we jump off the dock.

My comments about ember tetras were based on the two values Naughts gave in post #101. If your GH really is lower than those two values, it makes a difference.

I will check for ph levels in plain tap water right now....:)

My comments about ember tetras were based on the two values Naughts gave in post #101. If your GH really is lower than those two values, it makes a difference.

Yes, I also prefaced my comment with "If this is your water"... :drinks:

My guess is 7.6 , strait tap water. :)

I think, decided for yourself, what you think it is, because it really doesn’t match 7.6, so I don’t know 100%. :)

C3DC1F92-142E-4A3A-A091-BCEDEA473F01.jpeg

I found 208mg/l TDS on http://mobile.lawrenceburgky.org/water-dept

I found 159mg/l for Louisville on https://www.louisvillewater.com/additional-water-quality-information - OP also read this same data with 9.3 grains of calcium carbonate per gallon and now believes this one is his water.

Byron found a different report for Crescent Hill and BE Payne water.

I don't think we are much wiser in terms of which is the OPs source ????

I would call that 7.6, so that is better.

So, given the GH and KH, over time I would expect the pH to lower a bit. Difficult to say how much, because the KH serves to buffer pH preventing fluctuations. But the KH here is not that strong, so the buffering may not be much. That really isn't going to matter much as you have soft water species under consideration and they should not have much trouble, depending which you go with. The CPD are a good option, a group of 20 (this is SF's recommendation, in basically this size tank) but no other fish.

Most reactions

Back